I could cry...

I've been making a cabinet for our screen porch. It has been kinda fun because I bought nothing (except hinges) to make it, been using stuff I had left over from other projects.
The last thing I had to do was make the doors. I cut all the rails and stiles and grooved same for the panel a day or so ago, last thing was to cut 3/8" stub tenons on the rail ends to fit into the stile grooves. I did that yesterday afternoon. I also cut tenons into the ends of the stiles.
ARRRGGGG! Now the damn stiles are 3/4" too short <sob>. That's what I get for working when I am tired.
I just finished stretching the stiles. I cut a bunch of 1 1/2" square pieces (stiles and rails are 1 1/2 wide), cut appropriate grooves and glued them on. Other than being a pain to do, that would be fine if I'd planned to paint the door frames but I didn't, plan to finish them bright. If the grain mismatch looks too awful, guess I'll cut shallow "V" quircks at the joints AND in the rails...sort of like corner blocks. A design feature :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
[snip]

Now you know why some "classic" woodwork has "extra" design elements in places ;-)
John
On Sat, 22 May 2010 13:12:31 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@jecarter.us wrote:

...quote from one of my most treasured mentors: "...you know a good carpenter by how good he covers his fuckups..."
I loved that man!
cg
"Chasgroh" wrote:

Applies to many professions.
Politics comes to mind.
I've always operated on the philosophy that I'd rather be lucky than good.
Lew
Chasgroh wrote:

Had that said to me when I was a very young apprentice some 50 years ago when I made my very first serious "fuck-up" and told to "get on and sort it out" without help from the 'master' - and it has certainly stood the test of time for me.
And I must admit, I never made the same mistake again. LOL
Cash
On 5/22/2010 11:46 AM, dadiOH wrote:

It's like music: If you make a mistake, do it again and they'll think you're playing Jazz...

> Tim Daneliuk =A0 =A0 snipped-for-privacy@tundraware.com
> PGP Key: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0http://www.tundraware.com/PGP /
On 5/22/2010 9:12 PM, Rene wrote:

Sure, but it's not original and I don't know the original attribution ...
On 5/22/10 9:24 PM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

The way I usually hear it is... "Play the wrong chord once, it's a mistake. Play it again, and it's jazz."
--

-MIKE-

> Tim Daneliuk =A0 =A0 snipped-for-privacy@tundraware.com
> PGP Key: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0http://www.tundraware.com/PGP /
Ouch... SNIP of a painful experience...

You are now approaching "professional" quality of cabinet making. If I were going to be finishing it in clear, I would have made sure that I would have used a contrasting piece of wood for the "ornamentation", and made sure I put it right where everyone would intentionally notice.
I would have probably put the "aesthetic enhancement" right in the middle of the stile so it didn't miss any attention, and used a nice M/ T joint to make sure it looked completely intentional.
After all - in the end, it was, right?
;^) Robert
Oh boy.... I made a similar mistake in the other direction. I build a kitchen island and had to make 6 doors. 4 were identical and the remaining 2 were larger but should have been identical.
I assembled (glued up) the last two and one of them was 1 inch wider then the other! arrrrrr!!!!
Could not understand what happened. Looked at the drawings and puzzled over this, then it hit me! On the wider door the additional inch was from the 2 half inch tenons on the rail. Rather cutting them to what the drawing showed as the correct length I added another inch to accommodate the tenons!!! Thought about this for a day or so (I did not have enough material to make an additional door) then carefully cut the rails at the joint with the styles at both ends of the rails then re-cut the tenons and mortise in the style.
Not only measure twice but read the plan twice!
Marty
On 5/22/2010 12:46 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Almost been there almost done that countless times. Having built several hundred doors this way I saw this coming before you mentioned it. It is a pisser. I use Sketchup for design and I draw those tennons and fortunately the total length needed is caught by Cutlist 4.0 when it imports into Cutlist Plus. I do not have to give it a second thought after the drawing is completed.
wrote the following:

Tijuana chic, BillyBob.
-- Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

I'm glad it's not just me that does stupid things like that.