HVLP Sprayer question

I have a small, standard air compressor, and I'm wondering if I can buy an HVLP sprayer that will work work with it, or do you have to buy an entire HVLP system?
Thanks, --Michael

Just buy a gun. Make sure your compressor puts out the CFM required by the gun.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On 12 Dec 2005 14:35:46 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Depends on your compressor size. You can use an HVLP conversion gun with an air compressor. They require more air capacity than a regular air atomized spray gun. For instance I have a PC PSH1 that requires 8.5 scfm at 40psi. A compressor that gives you that much capacity would allow you to spray at one hundred percent duty cycle. You can get by with less capacity, however you will have to live with a reduced duty cycle (trigger on time) and only spray intermittantly watching your gun for pressure drop below your set pressure and let it catch up. Best to have a capacity match. Most guns will tell you what the air requirement is. determine if your compressor has the capacity to run it.
Frank
Those guns with the cup on top tend to require less air.

I use the Devilbis HVLP finish line. Works pretty good on my 5 hp 27 gallon compressor. Only problem is when your supply can is getting empty and your spraying downward...starves the nozzle. The company says the can bags prevent this, haven't tried it yet. I think the bottom draw ones work better for woodworking, but sometimes you gotta use what you gotta use, they do tend to draw more air. Whatever you use, be prepared to have your compressor on continuously. I've heard a couple people here that like the, I thinkit called, The critter.
Don AL wrote:

Just one more thing. Atomizing solvents are great for creating flame throwers. Be careful spraying in garage. I've done my daily public announcement.

Not really. This falls more closely into the category of alarm in a way similar to the fear of dust collector explosions, than it does in the realm of public safety.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Saw a couple of older teens spray something on the sidewalk then light it then the gal grabbed the spray can and started spraying the flame! Van was parked at the curb adjacent to the excitement!

Check out Eastwood. They have a two gun set from Devilbiss for a very good price that rivals Harbor Freight.
Check out Eastwood. They have a two gun set from Devilbiss for a very good price that rivals Harbor Freight.

Check Harbor Freight - they have a reasonably priced gun that seems to work just fine. Also a gun/compressor unit that is under $100 that I've used for quite a while with no problems. Mainly spraying latex paint.
Vic

Do you happen to know the part # for that gun/compressor combo? Thanks! A
http://www.homesteadfinishing.com /
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Thanks for the replies.