Hurricane-proof House

Page 3 of 8

House built into the side of a mountain that is above sea level. ~ preferably in a lesser earthquake zone.
wrote in message

Versus the mountains that are below sea-level????????????????????
Chris wrote:

While the wording *is* a bit ambiguous, I think he probably meant, not at the bottom of a mountain, whose base is at sea level. <g>
Notan

Too dangerous... subs run into them...

"survived" Katrina noting the obvious problems with windows being blown out and the roof of the Superdome falling apart.
The dumb decicions would be the placement of critical facilities at the ground (flooding level), for locating emergency generators, electrical rooms, HVAC, etc. It would seem that if these were located at higher floors to begin with, coupled with larger emergency water tanks and fuel supplies, and perhaps a 2 week pre-placed food supply, that these buildings would make nice shelters against future hurricanes (even cat. 5).
Elsewhere in the city, critical cellular and municipal communications towers should have been hardened for maximum strength and have all generators and ground facilities elevated above the flooding level.
Beachcomber

Here's a turn-key design, courtesy of Uncle Sam: https://www.cheyennemountain.af.mil/thedesign.htm
Lee
That *might* keep out the thug looters in Nawlins.
wrote in message

underwater at least a month out of the year. The entrance, power, water, etc. all came in from up the hill. The waste was pumped out to a holding tank that was emptied regularly.
It was a comfortable house too. No idea how it was constructed. I was a little young at the time or I would have inquired.

(in my best Python voice) " I would find it and fart in it!"
CWatters wrote:

Yep, that would be a great place to be when the flood waters came in. Unless, of course, your underground house is a buried submarine. :-)
Matt

Considering that no type of house is ever going to be absolutely safe, one might also plan for the type of statement you want made in your afterlife. http://www.pulse24.com/Business/Top_Story/20050909-002/page.asp
"Upscale" wrote in message

The basic design is already at least a few thousand years old, on more than one continent.
... pyramid.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

Ya bit they got looted too!
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
"Chris" wrote in message

Took a thousand years, or so, though ... besides, I've got the time, and the ammo, for a brief holdout, relatively speaking.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/05

So a little modern pyramid in order. With up to date arms and some electric grates would do the trick.
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
Nehmo wrote:

Easy answer. Just build it in Antarctica. It has not had a hurricane in millions of years.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Saw a show once about Antarctica. They came across a dead seal, looked like it died yesterday. Narrator mentioned that it had died 300 years ago. Wonder if the meat was still good?
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
Chris wrote:

How did the narrator know that?
-Bob

Not sure, I suppose you could ask him. As I remember he was as scientist stationed down there. Good enough for me. My guess would be carbon dating.
--
Chris

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If it is in English, thank a
On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 23:30:52 -0400, Chris wrote:

IIRC, carbon dating isn't useful for such a short time span. Most likely it was dated by its location in a snowbank or some similar natural / quantifiable phenomenon.
How the the reporter know this? Easy. It's what his editor told him to say.