Hunk of tree

A big pine fell in a recent storm and I lugged home a 20" diameter by 3 foot long hunk. I've never done any sculpturing, but figure it would keep me occupied for a good long piece. How long do I need to let it dry out before putting a chisel to it?

Reply to
Z3Driver

Well, if you go by the old rule of an inch a year, you would have to wait 20 years or 36 years.

Most sculptures I have seen of stumps or tree cross sections are carved green. Then the cracks that form naturally become part of the piece's character.

Most folks who carve tree stumps or tree cross sections are not all that patient. Or have that long enough life expectancy to wait for it to dry thoroughly.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Like Lee said, plenty of work has been done on green wood. I think part of the strategy is to stop short of the depth you wish to cut to, and let it dry for 6 months or so before you complete your work. Never did it myself.

Bill

Reply to
Bill