How would you have done it?

I installed a overhead storage shelf made by Hyloft (see item here:
(Amazon.com product link shortened) )
Need to make sure the corners were parallel to one another. They suggested hanging one then measure off it to get to line up. My brother and I struggled a bit to do that. We got it done, but the hardest part I thought was how do you hang something parallel in middle of a garage/workshop ceiling? No reference points within 5 feet of any one direction.
We did it with careful measuring. I thought later we should have just made a template out of cardboard and just done it that way. The brackets have to line up on a joist. The job was way too long for what should have been a 20 minute deal.
Like to do it again, buy since my brother is leaving to go home this weekend, it will have to be a solo effort.
MJ
My first thought would be to assemble it on the floor lift it up into place. Some cargo straps and Lumb-R-Grip Hanger Hooks would do the job for an open ceiling. For a drywall ceiling, you could use some cheap screw-in hooks.
--

-MIKE-

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Install like a garage door opener. Attach one element and swing the other end up and attach.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

From the link...
"One-Person Installation Takes Only Minutes The HyLoft was designed for a single person to install in just minutes."
:)