How to shellac/poly the inside 5 sides of drawers (with a sliding bottom)

I've got a never used Purdy 3" natural brush and could use shellac, but I've got 1/2 gallon Minwax Spar Poly only six months old. So there you go. I've got to finish the inside 5 sides of eight drawers. The outsides will be semi-gloss oil. I'll do the outside paint first, then mask the outside top perimeter edges to do the inside. But its got a 1/4" deep groove 1/4" for the bottom for the approx. 18" x 18" 1/4" nominal birch plywood bottoms to slide into. I have been here numerous times with paint w/r/t keeping runs away, but I know nothing about shellac, and have only ever used polyurethane on horizontal surfaces. How should I swivel these drawers to prevent runs while painting, or letting them dry. Before I get started. I can see major issues with the poly which I would like to have. I'm gonna 220 sc sand between 2 coats.

Actually what I was thinking was this: Is it possible to do the bottom separately from the sides to keep it out of the way, then slide it in finished?

-I've got a an oversized hole for a pan head screw at the middle of the back to hold the bottom to the back, but other than that the bottoms just slide in the groove. I have designed enough room for expansion from side to side and front to back. Can I apply the finish to the bottom separately, then slide it in. Because if I have to do it while its in, that is a constraint that affects the whole application. I do not know how to control runs If I do it this way, I'll get finish on the inside of the groove, but will that matter w/r/t the expansion/contraction? I think the actual dimensions are birch bottom: .220", and 1/4 straight bit: ~.250", so there is about a 1/32" play in the groove thickness wise.

Mind you, I have no control over what my mind thinks up, nor how this will affect my result.

Like, how do I position the drawer to dry so I don't get runs?

Reply to
bent

Hang & Spray :)

Reply to
Rob V

But what about back to flip, slide and hope?

Reply to
bent

Forget finishing the insides. If you want. Tom

Reply to
tom