How to remove a broken screw?

Page 2 of 2
"tiredofspam" <nospam.nospam.com> wrote in message

I made mine out of steel roll pins from my hardware store. They last a hell of a lot longer than brass does. I just wish my DP had a reverse on it. Art
On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 09:01:37 -0800 (PST), trvlnmny

Been there, drank that, er.... done that.
Use other's suggestion for getting it out and plugging the hole with a dowell. If it's only a No. 4 screw, I think you can get away with re-drilling into the end grain. Just use a real hardwood dowell and drill pilot holes.
-Zz

Heat the stub with a soldering iron; a drop of solder helps heat transfer. Plug and redrill. The hinge plate will cover the repair.
On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 09:01:37 -0800 (PST), trvlnmny

Several things you might consider. Is the problem screw protruding at all? You could use a Dremel cut off wheel, (or a fine hack saw for that matter) and cut a slot in it. Then use a slotted screwdriver on it. If it's flush with the surface, then the Dremel wheel idea might still work.
If attempting this might irreparably damage your project, then I'd suggest a holesaw just larger than the broken screw, snap out the screw and fill the hole with filler or a plug of some type.
That's about all I can suggest.
"trvlnmny" wrote in message
I am working with white oak and brass hinges. The hinges came with #4 brass screws. When first installing the hinges I used steel screws. When attempting to replace the steel screws with the brass ones the second one broke. My question is how do I remove the broken piece of the screw? Thanks for any and all help. ***************************** I think craftsman makes a remover that is like a cup to fit over the stub, and has some grip to grab it as the cup rotates. I know I have seen one, but does anyone have more of a firm memory on this than I do?
-- Jim in NC