How to make painted OSB look halfway decent?

Page 6 of 6

It's an unfinished basement. The first-floor joists are exposed. I expect that when these are finished, a very small percentage are even sheetrocked. Most would have suspended ceilings, so no protection there, either. I don't intend to finish the ceiling because it's my shop (probably will cover the walls).
I was wondering if you were talking about some sort of treatment of the I-beams themselves.

On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 10:39:28 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"

My house is about 40% of that size (1-1/2 story) but the basement is completely unfinished. There are only two of us so it's not like I need more living space but the shop space is nice. ;-)

Wow! With plumbing and electrical, that sounds like a *major* undertaking. Rocking the ceiling would be much simpler.

...or it's not the code.

That's well (under-)stated! You just described the entire federal government.

That assumes you have an unlimited water supply. AFAIK, you need more than a 3/4" street connection to support them. Then there's the problem of false trips. It *does* happen and water will do as much damage as a fire (that's most of the damage in most residential fires, where the fire department "saves" the structure).
I was talking with some VFW folks when I was in VT. They were forcing them to install a sprinkler system that was going to set them back around $100K. The stupid part is that it's a one-story building, on a slab, that has windows all around. You can't be more than ~30' from a possible exit (and they're in all directions). But, rules are rules.
On 4/13/14, 4:48 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Do a lot of walking around on those counters, do you? :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 4/12/14, 10:21 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

I would never call you a liar, Mike. Passive aggressive, maybe, but never a liar. :-D
My question would be how much? How many of these have you seen? Are you sure there was not cement bed under the tile/thin-set? Even a thin one that perhaps could be mistaken for the thin-set used to attach the tile? Perhaps there's something about Luan in this equation. I know most 1/4' Luan is quite a different animal than other sheet goods with how stiff Luan is compared to the stuff they put in the middle of the sandwich. Perhaps that stuff in the middle allows for flexibility like the Schluter Ditra sheets do.
Not arguing, here, just honestly curious.
--

-MIKE-

Actually, I have. And I weigh 215 <sob>
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 4/13/14, 12:26 PM, dadiOH wrote:

I think you get my point. :-)
--

-MIKE-

ALL the code is concerned about as far as residential fireproofing goes is to:
Give the resident time to recognize there is a fire and get out. In most cases, that is a 20 minute burn through.
If the fire is severe enough to test the fireproofing of trusses and such, there is nothing left to save, anyway. It is a total loss, and as such, the fire department wages a protection battle to make sure it does not spread, and that is the end of that. Pour water on from the outside, and let it burn.
--
Jim in NC

Actually have a adhesive failure on counter top of about 11 months, but is just the ends by the stove. Self cleaning oven must be a bit to hot.
Mark

Ontario is considering requiring sprinklers in residences larger than so many sq feet (or meters). This allows people to get out from anywhere in the residence in case of a fire.
Also, firemen will often enter a sprinklered building to fight the fire, thereby protecting property - when they will not enter a nonsprinklered building the same size and construction under the same conditions. And they will NOT enter a building with steel roof trusses, while they WILL with timber, because timber chars and remains strong long past the point where steel web joists soften, buckle, and fail.
On 4/11/2014 2:26 PM, Michael wrote:

Despite so many nay sayers, I have made several outstanding things from MDF. Anywhere that it has been cut, routed, or is just the porous edge will soak up paint forever, so the trick is to seal the cuts. Drywall compound works. shellac and latex metal primer work well also. You do need to sand the edges with fine paper. It takes paint beatifully.
I have done a few things in high gloss black that I defy you to tell what I used
--

___________________________________

Keep the whole world singing . . .
On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 18:26:24 -0400, "Morgans"

Sure, that's been my position all along.

Yes, I've said that the fire department's job is to save the neighbor's house. I agree 100% but in this case there is *no* fireproofing on the I-beams (completely unfinished basement). The beams are exposed to the world, save for a little fiberglass stuffed between (the all-important bottom rail is still bare). AFAIK, there is no code that says the I-beams have to be covered. The house has a CO.
On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 19:41:46 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

They're not going to save a house that's fully engulfed. A fire chief of a midsize city once told me that if they have to use more than 50gal of water on a house fire, it's a likely total loss. It's not the fire that does the damage, rather the smoke and in particular, the water. He guaranteed that if he emptied his pumper on a house it would be totaled.
On Sun, 13 Apr 2014 21:12:35 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

He was a paid department chief, with over 20 years.

It will wreck everything in the house, from the sheetrock right down to the trusses. If he could get by with 50gal, it was salvageable. A bigger fire, requiring more water, not so much.

They carried 1000gal on the pumper. He guaranteed that the house would be a total if he used it. It wasn't there for home fires. Sorry, I'll take the word of someone I new (very well) over someone on the Usenet.

BIG difference between MDF and OSB. As different as balsa and oak .