How to get know?

We all work with wood in some shape or form (or are reading the group for some other reason). I assume that many of us look for machinery from time to time as proven by the many posts about what (insert generic object title here) to buy.

When looking for specific info, some people ask here... Some people look in trade publications... Some people visit the net / MSC / McMaster / ThomasRegister / Amazon / HF / Grizzly, etc. eBay is sometimes a viable search area too since many of us look for used or low cost equipment either for kicks or sometimes just for spare parts, etc.

For our company, I hit the trade publications and web sites as often as we can afford to. We also work very hard to have a high page rank and many "doors" to our business via web site(s). We are on Thomas's web "thing" as well as a few others. Am I missing some other avenue to advertise woodworking - or in my specialized case, production drilling machinery?

Would love to be able to grow the business... But want to make sure I'm not missing some great opportunity to advertise somewhere just because I don't know about it. Rather than doubling my efforts in the areas we already know are working, I'm seeking for new ideas on where to put my time and effort...

So, I ask the question... Where do YOU look when you need equipment?

I posted this separately on a metalworking group too because we do get leads from that industry more often. However, you never know where the next great idea or piece of information is going to come from.

Regards, Joe

(Sigfile removed to make sure nobody mistakes this for spam)

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Mostly WORD OF MOUTH. I tend to buy stuff at Woodcraft (or HD) because if something happens, I can walk right in and exchange it (or refund on the spot).

I go to Amazon because they have just about everything. Example, recently, I was looking for 3-piece Freud router bit set, no one has them in my town (one place just outside of town stock Freud, but not the set I was looking for). Top of everything, Amazon.com seems to beat anyone's price (along with NO tax and NO shipping charge).

I go to ebay very little (I have only about 15 feedbacks, so I traded about 15 times since).

Most of all, I enjoy going to WW'ing show (Milwaukee, WI). But I am still careful in there ("Show" doesn't mean cheaper). I go when they first open (get there 45 minutes earlier, wait in line), because later that day and the weekend, it's packed with humanoids.

Off topic example, but idea... I buy just about all my computer parts from NewEgg.com. I learn of that website from WORD OF MOUTH (online chat, forums, etc).

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

Joe.. I usually ask here, or in rec.crafts.woodturning.. folks in these groups have "been there and done that" and have some pretty good insight into equipment.. Usually, the next step would be web research, at the company/manufacturer web site or at links the group supplies..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis
[snipped for brevity]

You must have an idea who your customers are and in what type of businesses they are. Focus on trade magazines and forums that cater to THEIR types. If your drills are used in, for example, the circuit board business, then I'd go after the other suppliers they use, like the wave soldering machine makers, the tin distributors, the fibre-glass merchants..IOW, those who also cater to your customers but aren't your competitors.

I find out from a hinge supplier who buys a lot of hinges. That would mean he's building a lot of cabinets. They need counter tops.

One of my leads in this town is a guy I know with a back-hoe. Somebody needs a hole for a house needs a kitchen.....

Reply to
Robatoy

When looking for an air cleaner a few months back I:

1) read the manufacturer details and description. 2) searched this and r.c.woodturning newsgroups for opinions - especially negative ones. 3) read the opinion feedback on Amazon. 4) considering each of the above, made a gut decision to what I was really looking for in features, quality and price.
Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

You make a very good point... Thank you. I'll digest this some more over the weekend for sure.

Regards, Joe

...sigless for this thread

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

As a hobbyist, I look for the normal magazines, I get catalogs from Woodcraft, Rockler, Tool Crib. It I was running a production shop, I'd probably look at other sources for industrial oriented equipment. Thee must be some trade journals geared towards the pro cabinet shop. I recall seeing one in a newspaper format in Woodcraft one day. I had no particular interest (and don't recall the name) because it was geared to the pro shop.

I'd drop in at one of these shops and see what magazines are in the waiting room and maybe ask the owner/buyer what he looks at. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That is somewhat along the lines of what I'm trying to do "virtually" with this thread. We don't have too many large production-type shops here in NJ - or the NE for that matter... There are a few, but nothing like the midwest, Canada around Chicago, etc.

Regards, Joe

...sigless... oh forget it. You know already.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill