How to fold a bandsaw blade

Page 1 of 2
Here's a short description on YouTube that shows one method of folding a bandsaw blade.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI1Okb4Vp9Q
.
Rod

Nope only your hands.....
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Well, blood can cause rusting... Kerry
I don't wear gloves either nor do I use my foot.

Well, I have never worn gloves either, but I do now. Last week after installing my 6" riser, I opened my first Timberwolf 105 Inch, 3 TPI Reverse Hook, 3/4 Inch blade. Let me tell you, this was an experience. My old saw was a 12 Incher and the blades were a breeze to work with, a few minor scratches once in awhile. With this 105? After the first hoop opened and the figure eight caught both my thumbs and one of my index fingers in it, I was real lucky my SWMBO was in shouting distance. The end result was no stitches but about 5 clean punctures in my hands. If she had not been close, they would have been incesions and probably required stiches.
I chalked that one up to the "lessons learned" and went and got me a nice set of leather gloves.

I used to work with a guy who had a small metal fabrication and welding shop. He used to get in these seriously big bandsaw blades used for cutting metal.
He would go out back of the shop and throw the coiled blades on the ground. They would just explode into their natural uncoiled state. It was scary to watch. The blades were just hung on a nail after that. It was just too dangerous to do anything else with them.
Lee Michaels wrote:

That's what I do with my 111" blades. It's fun to watch them bounce :-). But I do recoil them when I take them off the saw.
-- It's turtles, all the way down
Wed, Jun 6, 2007, 11:56am leemichaels*nadaspam*@comcast.net (LeeMichaels) doth sayeth: <snip> He would go out back of the shop and throw the coiled blades onthe ground. They would just explode into their natural uncoiled state. It was scary to watch. The blades were just hung on a nail after that. <snip>
I don't deal with that big of blades, but that's exatly how I do it. I figure that's the safest, and easiest, way.
JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there? - General George S. Patton
wrote

were putting them in a customers bandsaw after a repair.
The boss used to make us coil old blades back up for storage. I hated that, but I can still do it with out even thinking.
wayne
wrote

Okay Wayne J,
I 'd appreciate it if you could 'slow down the reflex' and explain how to coil a long bandsaw blade. I have seen this technique done numerous times....crossing the wrists...twist and turn.. and the voila.....a neat three looped bundle ready for hanging. ....well, a neat bundle for someone else maybe....not me. Give me a tangled chainsaw chain and in mere seconds...voila, it's untangled...but those damned long bandsaw blades still elude me....ahh, right, I can't explain how I untangle a chain saw chain either.
Okay Wayne J....I'm counting on your help with my 36" wheel bands.
...Ken

Hold bandsaw blade out in front of you with both palms pointing to the right. Turn right hand clockwise to the 'natural' position and do a bit of an accordeon type movement with your arms at the same time. A bit, that is. Voila. Decent leather gloves highly recommended. Sometimes, with my wide 1 1/4" blade, the third loop doesn't want to settle the first time, it always works the second or third time around, though :)
-P.
Peter Huebner wrote:

For me, it's easier to put one foot on the blade on the floor, one hand on top with palm facing out. Turn hand and lower top of blade. When you've turned that hand as far as your bones will allow, replace with other hand and keep turning.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

Learn something new every day. Now if only there was a new way to open long ones up. Tossing the 150" blade out on the floor or yard does not work as well as with more common length blades.

I'm thinking you could Frisbee the roll out onto a lawn of suitable size. The grass should prevent it from damage and stop it from bouncing too far.
wrote in message

want to stay coiled.

All the more reason NOT to coil them. Make room on the wall.

LOL, I would need to move to a larger shop. Wall space is a premium commodity in my shop.
That still does not address uncoiling a new blade. ;~)
I only wish he mentioned why he folds them. Just hang them on the wall. I just don't get it.
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com