How to finish antique walnut? kitchen table

Hey Everyone,
I need some advice on what to use to finish a walnut or what I think is walnut kitchen table. I have sanded the top and applied 1 coat of natural stain. What should I use to protect the finish from the day to day abuse of a family of four.
Thanks Christie
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Christie) wrote:

This is a case where I think a polyurethane finish is appropriate. It's one tough mother when it comes to withstanding abuse. I'd recommend an alkyd (oil-based) poly over a water-based. The water-based generally has a blue tint that won't enhance the walnut coloration. The alkyd has an amber tint that'll really warm the wood nicely.
Buy a _quality_ brush - like Wooster or Purdy brands - expect to shell out about $10-20 for the brush and clean it out well after each application. It should last a very, very long time (and get better with age) with good maintenance.