How to find a good carpenter?

I had a guy when I lived on the west coast. Did my bookcases, my fireplace mantel, a few other things.
Now I live in New Jersey, I'm new in town (so I don't have friends to ask for references) and I have no idea how to find someone.
I'd like some custom bookcases. I know exactly what I want (I saw them in Woodworker in April '01) and I can afford to pay someone to build them.
How do I find a good carpenter if referrals from friends aren't an option?
Thanks.
-k.
Here's the web address for Tom Watson.
http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson /
Bob S.
Try this guy, he probably will do a good job for you ;-)
Frank's Cabinet Shop 1992 Burnt Mills Rd, Pluckemin, NJ 07978 Phone: (908) 658-4396
--
There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Make sure to tell him that any dovetails need to be cut tails first.

remember good people also have a low tolerance for horseshit like: "I want this bookcase built and if your lucky after the price of materials there may be some money left for you"
take a good look at his gait, if he drags his knuckles make sure that those knuckles are wrapped around a well-tuned chisel. but if he's cute make sure his work schedule coincides with the husbands business trip it's good for a serious discount.
Kim,
Generally, when you're talking carpenter, you're talking about a guy who does framing, decks, sheds, home additions, and the like. For the work you're interested in, you might check the local yellow pages for custom woodworking, millwork, and cabinet shops. I have an acquaintance in Wall Township (Monmouth County) who does such work, if you're interested. His portfolio includes a mahogany-paneled library for Bruce Springsteen (a Jersey shore area native).
B.