how to figure circumfrence (sp)

I won't dwell on it, but you still lose me. A 5th degree polynomial has [at most] four local max/min; i.e. the plot goes up/down/up/down/up. That's a strange shape for a leg. :-)

Matlab is a bit hefty for that sort of thing. Try Graphmatica for 2D plots: www,archives.math.utk.edu.
I find DeltaCad really helpful. A bit of a learning curve for a drawing klutz like myself, but I finally got the hang of doing spline curves.
Bill.

The trick is the "at most". I just wanted flat at both ends and the curve in between equally distributed. At the risk of dwelling on it: f(x)=6x^5 - 15x^4 + 10x^3 between x=0 and x=1 is the function I settled on. I think it'sa fairly standard chair leg shape, actually, although I don't know the name of it. The up/down/up/down/up part happens outside the range of interest.
It's not as strange as all that, and I probably could have achieved the same thing with a set of french splines. This way, I got to tell myself I was "woodworking" when what I was actually doing was playing with Matlab. I got to have similar fun when I sat down to plan the angle I needed to cut a desired cove on my table saw. As always, the doing was much harder than the math.

I did find myself a cheap (free) CAD package, but I found it very hard to use. My (minimal) CAD training is 15 years old, and at that time, you typed in the coordinates of the points you wanted and the machine drew it for you. These days, apparently, it's all about starting with blank shapes and doing cutting planes or rotations on them. This is not how my brain works at all.

Neat!!
I use Mupad for something more dramatic, but will stick to simpler programs, usually preferring to figure by hand. My brother in law was a draftsman, and left me some of his tools. One "French curve" is in the shape of a babe. I'm afraid to handle her too much ...too distracting, so she sits in a drawer.

Do try Deltacad. It's very intuitive. All have a learning curve, but this one is relatively slight. Recently I drew up a model of our front door that I have to rebuild. Just rectangles and a few lines and dimensions are figured automatically. The end product is infinitely neater than I could draw or sketch.
Bill.
proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:
100 seconds to the hour, ten hours per day, 100 days per year.
All this would be possible, if only we could round off Pi.

***************************************************** Marriage. Where two people decide to get together so that neither of them can do what they want to because of the other one.
See a Rabbi.
Oh, that's something else, nevermind...

How long is a mohel?

Not sure, but I know I'm short about 4 or 5 inches. I guess they used me as an organ donor.
calmly ranted:

Is that what you're making this mountain out of, Bob?
--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:11:27 GMT, "David F. Eisan"
......and in reply I say!:
There is a fate that shapes our ends, rough hew them though we may.....

You use the term "figure" very well, m'sieur. ***************************************************** Marriage. Where two people decide to get together so that neither of them can do what they want to because of the other one.
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:11:27 GMT, "David F. Eisan"

I believe you were referring to theese, Meester Ironmonger:
--Three Samurai--
Once upon a time a powerful Emperor advertised for a new Chief Samurai.
Only three applied for the job: a Japanese, a Chinese and a Jewish Samurai.
"Demonstrate your skills!" commanded the Emperor. The Japanese samurai stepped forward, opened a tiny box, and released a fly. He drew his samurai sword and "swish"; the fly fell to the floor, neatly divided in two!
"What a feat!" said the Emperor. "Number Two Samurai, show me what you cando." The Chinese samurai smiled confidently, stepped forward and opened a tiny box, releasing a fly. He drew his samurai sword and "swish, swish"; the fly fell to the floor, neatly quartered!
"That is skill!" nodded the Emperor. "How are you going to top that, Number Three Samurai?" Number Three Samurai stepped forward, opened a tiny box, released one fly, drew his Samurai sword, and "swoooooosh" flourished his sword so mightily that a gust of wind blew through the room. But the fly was still buzzing around!
In disappointment, the Emperor said, "What kind of skill is that? The fly isn't even dead."
"Dead, schmed," replied the Jewish Samurai. "Dead is easy. Circumcision--THAT takes skill!"
--/Three Samurai--