how to figure circumfrence (sp)

knowing that the diameter of a circle is 32 and 1/2 inches, How do I figure the outside length of the disk.

TIA

moyo

Reply to
moyo

Pi times the diameter. Two times pi times the radius. Pi is 3.141592654 (Pi has infinite digits beyond the decimal, but your calculator doesn't care.)

102.1 inches.
Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

( ? = 3.1415926535897932384626433832795 [approximately])

C = ? · D = ? · 32.5 = 102.10176124166828025003590995658 [approximately]

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Ya, but my ruler is not able to read that close. Why not just round it off to a more realistic number like 102.10176124166828?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Can if you want to - but I have standards to maintain!

Just imagine the horrible consequences of an only

0.00000000000000025003590995658" gap in a tinfoil helmet...
Reply to
Morris Dovey

102 3/32 for those without decimal rulers.

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

See a Rabbi.

Oh, that's something else, nevermind...

Reply to
David F. Eisan

How long is a mohel?

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Pi are not square. Pi are round. Cake are square.

Is this the world's oldest math joke?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 05:56:37 -0400, "Mark Hopkins" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

wi?

102.101761241668280250035909956584

Iiiii Knoooowwwww! My donkey kicked me in the behind just the other day....

***************************************************** Marriage. Where two people decide to get together so that neither of them can do what they want to because of the other one.
Reply to
Old Nick

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:11:27 GMT, "David F. Eisan" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

There is a fate that shapes our ends, rough hew them though we may.....

You use the term "figure" very well, m'sieur.

***************************************************** Marriage. Where two people decide to get together so that neither of them can do what they want to because of the other one.
Reply to
Old Nick

Not sure, but I know I'm short about 4 or 5 inches. I guess they used me as an organ donor.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:11:27 GMT, "David F. Eisan" calmly ranted:

I believe you were referring to theese, Meester Ironmonger:

--Three Samurai--

Once upon a time a powerful Emperor advertised for a new Chief Samurai.

Only three applied for the job: a Japanese, a Chinese and a Jewish Samurai.

"Demonstrate your skills!" commanded the Emperor. The Japanese samurai stepped forward, opened a tiny box, and released a fly. He drew his samurai sword and "swish"; the fly fell to the floor, neatly divided in two!

"What a feat!" said the Emperor. "Number Two Samurai, show me what you cando." The Chinese samurai smiled confidently, stepped forward and opened a tiny box, releasing a fly. He drew his samurai sword and "swish, swish"; the fly fell to the floor, neatly quartered!

"That is skill!" nodded the Emperor. "How are you going to top that, Number Three Samurai?" Number Three Samurai stepped forward, opened a tiny box, released one fly, drew his Samurai sword, and "swoooooosh" flourished his sword so mightily that a gust of wind blew through the room. But the fly was still buzzing around!

In disappointment, the Emperor said, "What kind of skill is that? The fly isn't even dead."

"Dead, schmed," replied the Jewish Samurai. "Dead is easy. Circumcision--THAT takes skill!"

--/Three Samurai--

--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:49:35 GMT, "Bob Schmall" calmly ranted:

Is that what you're making this mountain out of, Bob?

--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Now if you live in Indiana, you can simplify your Pi calculations.

If you've never heard this story, it's an interesting read:

loutent

Lou...

Interesting read. About that same time there were a number of states who considered similar legislation; and (I've heard but haven't confirmed) at least one state who actually enacted a statute defining pi to be exactly three.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Tennessee, and only in Robert Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land." It didn't actually happen. The Indiana story is true enough, but it has spawned numerous spurious copycat stories that are standard April Fool's Day fare. Heinlein's is just the most immediately credible. The state in question is always some state presumed inhabited by rustics. But no state in the U.S. has ever had a law passed legislating the value of pi. Indiana came close.

--Jay

Reply to
Jay Windley

Whew! That's definitely reassuring. (-:

Reply to
Morris Dovey

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:37:08 -0400, loutent vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

100 seconds to the hour, ten hours per day, 100 days per year.

All this would be possible, if only we could round off Pi.