How to Cut MDF

I understand MDF is rough on saw blades, so I'm leery of running it through the tablesaw.
How do y'all cut the stuff?
Kyle Boatright (in n46dnXQTI7Tp-ynenZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com) said:
| I understand MDF is rough on saw blades, so I'm leery of running it | through the tablesaw. | | How do y'all cut the stuff?
Circular saw, table saw, and/or router.

Through the table saw. I typically don't use the stuff in a fine furniture sense so will usually chuck up a somewhat rough blade to cut it. The odd times I did need a nice cut, I used my expensive blade. Didn't seem to cause issues but again it was only a few cuts. Cheers, cc

It's no worse than many hardwoods. I wouldn't worry to much. Attack it with the tablesaw and you shouldnt have too many problems. Employ proper dust collection however and personal dust protection.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews: - Ryobi One+ Cordless Tool System - Festool CT Mini Dust Extractor - Kreg K3 Pocket Hole Joinery System - Incra Miter Express - Book: Scroll Saw Fundamentals - Ryobi BT3100K Table Saw System ------------------------------------------------------------

A narrow kerf means less dust.
Kyle Boatright wrote:

dave
Tablesaw. It's not as bad as some would have you believe.

But wear a dust mask, even if you have an 'efficient' vaccuum system. It's the dust you can't see, not the dust you can that is the bother in the long run.
Kyle Boatright wrote:

If you think about it, it's much like very dense cardboard. No harder on a blade than that. Very dusty though.
Joe Barta wrote:

particles together, Joe.
Dave

Part of the cost of the hobby (or business) is using tools that wear and have to be replaced. Blades wear out. Drill bits and router bits wear out. Narrows the choice to using a blade that is eventually going to wear out or giving up woodworking and buying a tank full of guppies. Some have really neat colors. Eventually they die too, and have to be replaced.

Put original blade that came with tablesaw back on and cut away. Who cares how fine the cut is since mdf basically looks like compressed dog shit anyway.
BTW, the dust is particularly nasty with this stuff. Be sure and use good dust collection and/or a mask.
Frank
Since any MDF I've ever used was "in the field" I've always cut with a circular saw with a straight edge clamped down to get the "factory edge". I don't particularly like MDF and don't use it on any of my own projects. Only on jobs where the customer furnishes material. It does paint well and it's fairly hard and flat and cheap. IMO it don't seem any harder on a blade than anything else. Partical Board is much worse on a blade. The dust is extreme. I really, really don't like the stuff. If you're building bookshelves it'll sag. Might be ok for jigs and such but I doubt it.
Kevin
RE: Subject
VERY CAREFULLY.
Lew
Kyle Boatright wrote:

With a saw dear Lisa with a saw. :) I have used MDF extensively and found it no harder on blades than other timbers. Jarrah for one, definitely gives the blades a much harder time then MDF. Like everything, it has it's place and uses and in those situations it surpasses other products. Sometimes people just take longer than others to accept new products. Check out your tools, fellows, plastic handles, Nylon Bushes. Go with the flow. No good ordering the tide to stop ;)
regards John