HOW THE #UCK DO I PULL OUT NAILS OUT OF A PALLET?

I have this oak pallet and im trying to pull out the nails out of it . I think #ckin Wonderman couldnt pull them out. There the spiral ones. The heads keep poppin off....What do i do short of cutting thern off?
Frustrated as hell

Sometimes you can use a nail punch and punch them through to the other side.
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 09:39:09 +1000, "SawEyes"

Methods I have used, depending on the specifics:
1) Grab the nail by the head with vise-grips and pry them out as if the VG was a pry bar--pivoting the VG on it's head.
2) Use a hollow screw extractor (like a tiny hole saw)
3) Work the slats off the stringers by carefully prying them off, then pound the nails back out, a brad driver works really well.
4) Pound the heads through the slats and throw away the stingers. (If it is the slats yhou want)
5) Break the slats off to reveal more nail to grip using method #1 above. THis only works if it's the stringer you want...
6) Use a real good nail puller, and/or a hammer with good puller.
7) Saw through the slats on either side of the stringers to give you short boards and throw away the stringers or go to #5 above.
--

FF

Unless you want to cut the pieces short, like at the nail itself, you're outta luck for the 2x pieces, 1xs will punch out or it'll come out when pried off of the 2x. Those little bastards do not come out. Been there, done that. I think the nails have a bonding agent on them too.
Apt Woodworker wrote:

Sawzall ! "Grandpa" <jsdebooATcomcast.net> wrote in message

persevere and clamp a pair of vise grips to the broken nail and try using a 3' foot long draw bar put a 3/4''block under the draw bar and change the direction of pull you might have better luck. OR you could take an old 1/8,3/16 drill bit and drill a hole right next to the nail at the same depth, this will loosen the grip that the wood has on the nail you could apply this to the rest before you attemp clean the lumber,possibly a squirt of hot linseed oil in your drilled hole may help as well "Keep smiling, woodworking is for the soul! :)dp(:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 23:27:06 GMT, Apt Woodworker

They can be stubborn. You need a variety of tools to de-nail pallet wood, including a metal detector. If the head breaks or there's not enough to get hold, use a nail punch and hammer it through to the other side. If you don't have patience (and time), dealing with pallet wood will be frustrating. I've made some very beautiful pieces from pallet wood. Some of it I use for jigs and other shop woodenware.

Grab the largest vice grips you can find, clamp them tight on the nail, use a 1" board a lever point and roll the visegrips onto the board. And good luck, the nails are put in when the wood is wet, with an air nailer. I built pallets all through school......still pulling out splinters years later
Most of the ones I get have drive screws instead of nails, and they are not made to be pulled out. I hammer a nail puller under the head to raise them some, then pull them with a crowbar.
Lionel

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:42:01 -0600, "Lionel"

I tried a vise and the nail i was yanking on broke in two pieces one of wich was buried in the wood. So i tried digging it out ...well a few small chisels i was using broke a little at the tip. So im gonna cut the boards off and keep the stringers. If i can't yank em out i'll bury them far enough so that the jointer doesnt catch them. Thanks for the help.
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 23:27:06 GMT, Apt Woodworker
Ever hear of a tool called a "cats paw"? If that doesn't work then cut the heads off and drive them thru.