How much power do I need in a 14" bandsaw?

I'm in the market for my first bandsaw. I'm limited to a 14" bandsaw with a riser as a larger bandsaw (17" and up) won't fit into my workshop area. The biggest job I can foresee doing is resawing a 9-10" piece of rosewood, cocobolo, or walnut.
There seems to be a wide range of motors out there for 14" bandsaws, from 1/2 HP up to 1-1/2 HP. How big of a motor would I need for this resawing job?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I have a 14" bandsaw with a 3/4 HP motor. I often wish it had 1.5 HP. One of these days I'll change the motor.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

More is better but you can get by with 1. IMHO the more power the better the cut also.
Concerning size, my 16" Laguna has a smaller foot print than my old 12" Craftsman and is shorter than many 14" saws with riser blocks.

You are going to try to resaw that width of those trees with anything less that 1 1/2 hp? Good luck. Jim
On 1 Aug 2006 14:11:12 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

As in all wood working and tool buying, you have to separate need and want, then ignore need and go for want.. *g*
My BS is a 3/4 hp with a riser, using 105" blades..
it does what I need it to, if I take my time and don't abuse the blade/motor/wood..
So, it's all I "need"...
"want" is maybe a chevy v-8 or at least a 5 hp variable speed motor.. *g*
Mac

2 hp min. You won't regret it! It will run better and safer!

Safer??

You bet! Under powered tools are unpredictable when running at their limits. It avoids binding, slow-down and such and the operator isn't tempted to push on something harder or interrupt his thought and motion. Think about it.

Ok, I can see that from some peoples stand point, but if I hear any of my machines bogging down, I back off and don't push it. But then again, that's me, so I can see why you said safer. Sorry.

For my employees, I want the most predictable operation...and that leads to predictable production. It seems tool life is extended too. Maybe 2 hp for a little bandsaw seems overkill but I'd bet blades stay cooler and last longer since there's less chance of binding and strain...just an opinion. My stuff is all big production equipment so I'm just guessing in the home-shop realm.
<...snipped...>

I won't argue that 2HP might benefit a 14" bandsaw, but the usuall single belt drive setup on a bandsaw with an 1800 or 3600 rpm motor is pushing its limits at 2HP. 1.5 hp motors seem to be more common (especially used) and certainly less expensive for new ones.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: > I'm in the market for my first bandsaw.
> There seems to be a wide range of motors out there for 14" bandsaws, > from 1/2 HP up to 1-1/2 HP. How big of a motor would I need for this > resawing job?
How deep are your pockets?
Bigger is better when it comes to electric motors.
Lew

I can re-saw easily wiht 1.5 hp, but I dont have a riser block. 2 HP would be better for that setup.
I purchased the American made 1 1/2 hp Delta X5, a riser block, heavier spring, Kreg fence, magnetic light and mobile base just before I retired. You know the works. At least to the level I can afford on my hobby budget and the last bandsaw I'll purchase. It cuts almost effortlessly through anything I need to saw. Great for resawing hardwood such as you mention, cutting out bowl rounds from half logs for my lathe, etc. It's a pure joy to use. Overkill? I don't know. All I can say is I don't regret it a bit..
This isn't an ad for Delta, however; I did have to get a new cord from them after installing the riser block. Cord between motor and switch became too short and wouldn't allow switch to reach to its mounting holes. Apparently, factory worker stripped a little too much wire before connecting to switch.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

My Grizzly 14" has a 3/4 hp motor. With a Wood Slicer blade from Highland Hardware I have no trouble resawing anything.