how many tape measures in your shop

Fiberglass tapes are pretty handy for some jobs that steel ones are no good for - and they don't shrink when it's cold out - - -

Reply to
clare

Yup. I treat them like pencils. I salt every place I'm likely to need a rule with enough that there's always one in sight. ;-)

Reply to
krw

It's the only way I can be sure that mine's bigger than yours. ;-)

Reply to
krw

They don't need to measure the same. Jus' gotta use the same one for the entire job. I use the same tape setting up the cut, too.

Reply to
krw

and how many Stanley/Olfa knives? Graham

Reply to
graham

I have a lufkin that is probably 45 years old and it's still strong. Not my favorite, it's an old center button lock.

But I think any tape can do that, especially one with a tightly wound spring.

I have Stanley lever locks (which I like), but now I prefer my Komelon. It occasionally needs an alcohol cleaning to keep from slipping, but I like the mechanism, and tape. Light weight too.

Reply to
woodchucker

But my TS Has its own rule and a lot more accurate than using a tape to set the fence. It is helpful that a tape measure matches that.

Reply to
Leon

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:3kpihb95nteijggo9hldd2ag5lpkqal1rc@

4ax.com:

Don't do too much renovation :-)

But yeah, long stuff over 4' the tape measure is the right tool. For drywall and plywood, I have a 4' square (and the ability to do subtraction when I need something longer than 4').

John

Reply to
John McCoy

I mostly use a tape measure to verify a measurement. Basically to verify I used the correct side of a whole inch increment on a rule or story stick. You know, LOL when the measure is upside down and the numbers go the opposite direction.

I was certainly glad to finally be able to go up to 96" on the new Woodpeckers story stick.

Reply to
Leon

I have an 8' Stanley with a 1/4" blade. It's a little smaller than a pocket watch and fits perfect in the watch pocket of my jeans. I used to wonder why jeans still have a watch pocket since about no one carries one. It's not close to my favorite but it is always with me, and out of the way in the watch pocket, which should be renamed to tape pocket:-)

I also have a probably a dozen or so tapes, and my favorite was a 10' Stanely. Now my favorite is a 12' Stanley, I couldn't find a 10' that I prefer in the cabinet shop. Stanley's are always accurate. Measure your cheap HF and other giveaways and you will likely be very surprised at how inaccurate they can be, something to always be aware of when measuring.

My biggest bitch on all of them is the 1/32 measurement they all seem to have in the first foot. Really stupid. I'd like only 1/16th, as 1/32" is too small to see, and I can get close enough visually cutting

1/16th in half. If I need 1/32 which is close to never, I can use a micrometer.
Reply to
Jack

I think I have that exact same tape. Not my favorite either. I like Stanley lever locks myself. Never used a Komelon. If they have a small

10' w/o those damned 1/32" markings, I'll get one. Just went to there site, and they have a 10' one, but looks like it has the damnable 1/32" markings.... yuck!
Reply to
Jack

Speaking of "in sight", one thing I'm sure of: where/whenever I find a tape, I know I'll find some "cheaters", nearby. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I fixed that problem by needing glasses full time. My eyes went from

20:15 to can't read without prescription glasses in less than a year.
Reply to
krw

Them durn "cadillacs" in the eyes 'll do that!!

Reply to
clare

Among the dozen or so scattered around the house, I have a very small Stanley 3-footer as a fob on my car keys. Invaluable for those spur-of-the-moment needs to measure something.

Funny thing was that I bought this from Amazon ($1.89) to fill an order and reach the magic (at that time) $25 free shipping limit. It was shipped as a separate item, in a 12"x10"x6" box via UPS. Very well packed/protected from shipping damage to their credit..

-BR

Reply to
Brewster

I hope you gave them a good rating on the packaging survey for that one. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I'm still 20:15. The trouble is that I'm not 20:15 at any distance that's _useful_ anymore. Far away it's a blur, up close it's a blur, but a couple of feet farther than I can reach it's needle sharp.

Reply to
J. Clarke

So you only need longer arms to read.

Reply to
krw

I've been looking at five in the rear view mirror for a verry long time. I don't even know how many taper measures are in the shop, but if I count the ones in the shop, garage, wife's work room, and my service trucks and could find them all the count might be an order of magnitude more than five.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

i only counted the ones in the shop there are more around somewhere

i have a real old and fragile one that i got as a hand me down from someone but do not recall who it is a narrow tape and maybe 10 footer

Reply to
Electric Comet