how many tape measures in your shop

Page 2 of 4
On 4/21/2016 9:43 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I think I have that exact same tape. Not my favorite either. I like Stanley lever locks myself. Never used a Komelon. If they have a small 10' w/o those damned 1/32" markings, I'll get one. Just went to there site, and they have a 10' one, but looks like it has the damnable 1/32" markings.... yuck!

--
Jack
On 4/21/2016 11:54 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

I have about 4 in the 6 to 12' range, and thinking of adding another, as I still can not find one when I need it. I also have 3 more in the 12 to 50' range, that stay put so I don't need as many in any one range.

Just one. Work stops until I find it, which means it never gets burried. Sometimes something gets put on top of it, but it doesn't stay that way for long.
I've another one out on the layout, no idea where it is. When I measure out there, it's usually with calipers.
One or two in the tool bag in the car (I don't remember if it's just the little one, or if I picked up a HF freebie for it. I need to if I haven't, but if I have I don't need to.)
Hey, maybe next April Lee Valley will come out with a folding story stick!
Puckdropper
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 13:23:34 -0400

just reminded that i have a 50 or maybe it is 100 footer somewhere

Probably 3. They tend to appear and disappear randomly (plus I think my girlfriend has my "big numbers" Lee Valley tape). Plus one in the truck.
I don't use them all that much - most measurements I use either the 16" rule on my combination square, or a 4' steel rule.
John
On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 2:31:38 PM UTC-4, John McCoy wrote:

Just don't use a cloth tape. They stretch. Measuring tapes that stretch will give you inaccurate numbers. DAMHIKT
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 13:17:12 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Fiberglass tapes are pretty handy for some jobs that steel ones are no good for - and they don't shrink when it's cold out - - -
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 18:28:11 -0000 (UTC), John McCoy

Must be fun when you start cutting 2X4s or 4X8 sheets for a renovation job!!!!
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in wrote: >>I don't use them all that much - most measurements I use either

Don't do too much renovation :-)
But yeah, long stuff over 4' the tape measure is the right tool. For drywall and plywood, I have a 4' square (and the ability to do subtraction when I need something longer than 4').
John
On 4/22/2016 7:36 AM, John McCoy wrote:

I mostly use a tape measure to verify a measurement. Basically to verify I used the correct side of a whole inch increment on a rule or story stick. You know, LOL when the measure is upside down and the numbers go the opposite direction.
I was certainly glad to finally be able to go up to 96" on the new Woodpeckers story stick.
On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 8:57:01 AM UTC-7, Electric Comet wrote:

How many? What an odd question. I suppose, though, they ARE countable, in some sense.
One in the living room, one in the dining room, two in the shop smock, two next to the drill press, one with the table saw, and probably a dozen others in useful places (or what I once deemed to be useful places).
They aren't exactly like pencils, because I can't put one in each pencil/pen mug. Wrong shape.
whit3rd wrote:

Ah, so my favorite is a 6' one, 3/16" wide (blade) and 1 3/4" in total diameter (I just measured it with itself--I started to reach for a ruler, but that's a long story...). You can carry in your pocket without any inconvenience. Perfect for toting with you. A present from dad (no doubt, free from ACO). He said, "Here take this, and you'll find it useful someday.". And he was right..
On 4/21/2016 4:09 PM, Bill wrote:

I have an 8' Stanley with a 1/4" blade. It's a little smaller than a pocket watch and fits perfect in the watch pocket of my jeans. I used to wonder why jeans still have a watch pocket since about no one carries one. It's not close to my favorite but it is always with me, and out of the way in the watch pocket, which should be renamed to tape pocket:-)
I also have a probably a dozen or so tapes, and my favorite was a 10' Stanely. Now my favorite is a 12' Stanley, I couldn't find a 10' that I prefer in the cabinet shop. Stanley's are always accurate. Measure your cheap HF and other giveaways and you will likely be very surprised at how inaccurate they can be, something to always be aware of when measuring.
My biggest bitch on all of them is the 1/32 measurement they all seem to have in the first foot. Really stupid. I'd like only 1/16th, as 1/32" is too small to see, and I can get close enough visually cutting 1/16th in half. If I need 1/32 which is close to never, I can use a micrometer.
--
Jack

They don't fit too well behind your ears either - - -

It does not matter how many you have. It matters that they all measure the same, and those need to measure the same as the rule on your TS.

They don't need to measure the same. Jus' gotta use the same one for the entire job. I use the same tape setting up the cut, too.

But my TS Has its own rule and a lot more accurate than using a tape to set the fence. It is helpful that a tape measure matches that.
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 08:54:35 -0700, Electric Comet

I think the real answer for most guys is "not sure - they keep appearing and dissappearing"
I know I have 2 "good" ones and somewhere around half a dozen "roamers" which tend to migrate to the truck one month, the basement the next, and then scatter to the far corners of the property for a while before congregating in the garage or on my dresser - - - - .
On 21/04/2016 9:54 AM, Electric Comet wrote:

and how many Stanley/Olfa knives? Graham
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 19:12:34 -0600

i think zero