How hard are jointer/planer knives?

I have an Inca 410 jointer/planer and I would like an extra set of knives. They are no longer made, and are a strange size (8-5/8" by 1" by 3/32" thick). I haven't been able to find anything compatible, either.

McMaster sells D2 tool steel that is 3/32" thick by 1" wide by 18" long for about $28. They say it is "Wear-Resistant Air-Hardened D2 Tool Steel." Hardness is specified as "B89-B102" with a maximum attainable hardness of C62-C65. I have found a local sharpening shop that will cut it into two knives and sharpen them for less than $20.

My question is whether the initial B89-B102 hardness is enough, or if they would require additional hardening. If B89-B102 is enough, then $50 doesn't seem too bad for a custom set of knives. But if additional hardening is required, I imagine that would be expensive and extra complicated.

McMaster also have a 4140/4142 steel that they say is hardened to C28-C32. However, I have seen D2 mentioned for planer knives but never

4140/4142, so I don't know if this 4140 steel is appropriate?

Any opinons?

Thanks, Phil

Reply to
cgallery

D2 is a tool steel. 4140/4142 is a different beast entirely. I would use D2 and I would get it hardened to C61-C65. That would ensure maximum life for the knives. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Have any idea where I can get this stock hardened? Is this something I can find a local outfit to do, and would it be very expensive?

Thanks, Phil

Jim wrote:

Reply to
cgallery

Have you asked the sharpening shop? They're usually pretty savvy about this sort of thing- you're just getting opinions that are sometimes great and sometimes crazy here. If you don't know, you can't pick the right ones!

Reply to
Prometheus

If you look hard enough, you might find a small machine shop that will harden for you. Good luck. The place that does ours has a minimum charge of $300.00. We do small stuff in house but send out larger quantities.

Reply to
CW

Try Global Tooling @

web site says that they will cut to size. The prices are pretty good at least for standard sizes ( I got a set of 15" carbide tipped knives for $174.00) and I had no troubles with my order. BC PS The usual disclaimers, don't work for them, don't get any kickback from them etc., etc.

Reply to
bc

I get all my knives from global. Very easy people to work with. They stock 3/23 knives but not in the size you need. They can cut a balanced set any length you need.

Reply to
Jody