How do you 'tune' a hand plane?

Page 2 of 2
AAvK wrote:

not much dissonance in that!

Maybe not, just an interjection. But it's got plenty of very sharp dynamics. Have you ever heard the whole piece through? It can be amazing. Alex
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:23:37 GMT, Ba r r y

I hope that it's the right one and I haven't sent you off on a wild goose chase. My CD of it is out on loan right now so I can't check.
wrote:n

I told Susan that we were going to use the "Promenade" from Pictures at an Exhibition as our wedding march.
She knew the piece, and immediately replied "I don't want them to think I'm pregnant...."
GregP wrote:

yes, number 7
wrote in

I really liked the Frank Klausz video on tuning up your tools. Found it at Woodcraft. He does chisels, saws, and hand planes. Watching somebody do this stuff is a thousand times better than reading an article or seeing pictures. After watching him tune up and use that old fleamarket plane, I went back to the articles and websites, and got a lot more of them because I had a better frame of reference.
Incidentally, he does mention in that video that he used to use glass as part of his tuneup, like for trueing a plane sole, but then he put a straightedge to the glass pane and found it wasn't flat, so he uses a piece of melamine now. And he set the teeth on a dovetail saw with a little screwdriver.

Basically you lap the sole of the plane flat, then lap the sides square to the sole. Then you need to make sure the blade sits flat against the frog (?) and a few other tweaks.
Read about it here: <http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=handtools&file=articl es_120.shtml>