How do I remove the spindle from my Delta Shaper??

I just brought a 20 year old Delta 43-221 shaper. Unfortunately it did not come with manual.
I "believe" I can remove the spindle and install a router collet in it's place; but it beats me how that would be done. Any advice would be appreciated. It appears to be exactly the same as the Grizzly GO510Z. Maybe the spindle comes off the same way?

Don't see that model here, but imagine the way's the same. Stud with a nut at the bottom of the bearing sleeve frees the spindle. http://www.acetoolrepair.com/DeltaHtml/Tables/WoodShapers.htm
I use a router bit spindle on mine, but it's pretty slow on small bits.
You will, of course order the manual from Delta.

In researching router bit spindles, I came across these instructions. Looks pretty simple. I took off the nut, but the stud and spindle are not moving. Is is just a matter of using a little force? http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom/manuals/G1705_m.pdf
Is is reasonable to think that this Grizzly router bit spindle will fit my machine?
thanks

Elevate the spindle, put a couple wood blocks under the end of the stud and then lower the spindle onto the blocks. It'll pop out.
Don't know about the ones at Grizzly. Got mine at Woodworkers' Supply. Says fits Delta, and does.

It didn't exactly "pop out", but it did come out. But I suppose after sitting there for 20 year I was fortunate it came out at all. It "looks" like the grizzly should fit; I have an email into them. Thanks for your help.
RE: Subject
CAREFULLY.
Lew
PS: Devil made me do it<G>.
on 10/28/2005 2:26 PM Toller said the following:

Try this:
<http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/Publications.asp?ID 41>
They don't list your model number but they do list models to either side of it. Read them all and if they all break down about the same, the chances are good that yours will break down similarly.
Or... write to Delta. I wrote them years ago about the 14" Milwaukee Delta BS I'd scored. They dug out an old owner's manual and parts list, copied it and sent it off to me "no charge." They also were kind enough to write up a little birth certificate for my saw which, it turned out, was born a year or so before I was.<g>

The HomeCraft shaper is identical to mine. Interesting that it cost $185 in 1948 and I only paid $140 for it. Supposedly mine was bought new in 1986 and only used a couple times.
Thanks much.

Unquestionably Confused Wrote:

Another possibility, Deltas tech support in Tenn: (800) 223-7278.
There are some folks there that know a bunch of stuff about legacy products. You might get lucky.
--
joe2

Call Delta Customer service and ask for Tech service. I'm not familiar with the number. Most Delta shapers had removable spindles with morse tapers that can be knocked out of the cartridges by removing the nut and giving the spindle a protected (block of wood) pop. Many had router spindle adapters that could replace the normal spindle. But some had cartridges without removable spindles. Had to replace the whole cartridge or in some cases turn it over to get a different diameter spindle. There are some oldtimers in tech service that should be able to help you.
Frank