How do I get the steam for a steam-pipe?

I'm a woodworking hobbyist who is interested in forming curved shapes in wood with the aid of a steam pipe. This seems to be a common and ordinary technique, according to my research.
Obviously, the size and shape of the "pipe" varies according to the specific situation, and that's fine. But my question is: How do I get the steam??? I see online products for laundry steam irons (probably too small) and saunas (surely too large and VERY expensive).
What sort of steam generator would a hobbyist use to form curved wood pieces? Is this something that I must cobble up on my own (maybe by appropriating my turkey fryer?) or is there something that will do the job for me?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Any electric kettle with the thermostat taped on and with a hose connecting to the pipe.
electric (no flame in shop) hotplate and teakettle.
jc

On Feb 19, 6:05 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You can use pretty much any heat source. If it's got a flame, do it outdoors.
On Feb 19, 6:05 am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You need an uninterrupted heat source. I use a Fisher burner connected to a gas line that heats a large tea kettle (a $2 Goodwill item). An electric burner should work sell too. Propane tanks are not so good as they can deplete. Most of my steaming takes about an hour or a little more. Protect your hands and get a pair of leather gloves. BBQ tongs can be helpful. Your materials for steaming should not be expensive at all.
Lee Valley has a 4-part, DIY article on steam bending that is excellent. It answers this and many more questions: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?pageC626
Michael Latcha - at home in Redford, MI

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You can buy steam by the bag at most good woodworking stores. I've not found much difference between the brands, but others may have their preferences.
I built a boat using an electric wallpaper steamer hitched to a very long plastic bag. Worked like a charm. I've also used a pipe with an end welded on, water in the pipe, pipe in the woodstove, stock in the pipe. It too works well although steel pipe will turn oak to purple! Dave
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I used one many years ago that used a round 3 gallon gas can, setting on a outdoor burner, with a radiator hose connected to the spout and pipe. The spout was just the right size to wedge the hose over. I haven't seen the old fashioned cans in a long time, maybe try a farm store. The newer safety cans could probably be modified fairly easy. I suggest you don't try using one that has had gas in it.
--
Bill B.

http://home.comcast.net/~bberg100
Tue, Feb 19, 2008, 3:05am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com doth claimeth: I'm a woodworking hobbyist who is interested in forming curved shapes in wood with the aid of a steam pipe. This seems to be a common and ordinary technique, according to my research. <snip> But my question is: How do I get the steam??? <snip>
I do not believe that if you had actually done your research, you do not already have your answer. I do not believe I have 'ever' read a piece on how to steam bend wood that did not tell how to get steam.
JOAT 10 Out Of 10 Terrorists Prefer Hillary For President - Bumper Sticker I do not have a problem with a woman president - except for Hillary.
On 19 Feb, 11:05, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Here in the UK I use a 20 steam wallpaper stripper (Earlex have lasted me the best). <http://www.earlex.co.uk/html/steam_html/ss100.htm
2 or 3kW electric heater, enough water for about an hour and they even supply a steamproof hose.
NB - Use plastic pipe, not steel! You'll get staining otherwise, even with galvanised.
http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/story.jsp?catref t5610002&storyid=/templatedata/wood/story/data/1167776675349.xml