Hot dog!

It's glue-up time for the bench base and I needed some 6-foot clamps. I have one 8-foot pipe clamp and was going to spring for two more 8 footers until the local Ace reported the pipe runs 25 cents and inch. Kinda takes your breath away.
I bought a couple of wonder dogs on my recent trip to Lee Valley. Screwed a foot on to one end of a 2x4 and drilled a 3/4 inch hole for the dog at the other and, voila, problem solved.
Larry

pipe clamp and was going to spring for two more 8 footers until the local Ace reported the pipe runs 25 cents and inch. Kinda takes your breath away.
It's a LOT cheaper at Lowe's or Home Depot: approximately $11 for 1/2" x 10', $13 for 3/4", and they'll cut and thread it at any length you want.

end of a 2x4 and drilled a 3/4 inch hole for the dog at the other and, voila, problem solved.
Good solution.
"Gramp's shop" wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------------------- These days plumbing distributors sell precut and threaded pipe nipples produced by specialty suppliers who do nothing but produce pipe nipples.
10 ft max and typically over night availability.
Cutting and threading a standard size nipple at the local distributor or hardware store these days just isn't competitive any more.
Lew

Lowe's and Home Depot seem to think it's competitive: you can walk into any of their stores and get 10' sections of pipe cut to whatever length you need, and threaded on the spot.
What's not competitive is buying pipe online: anything you might possibly save on the cost of the pipe is more than consumed by the cost of shipping.
Doug Miller wrote:

Menards, if you happen to have one local, has them ready to go--lots of common lengths.

Lowes does too... but it's a little odd. You can buy a 10' pipe and have it cut and threaded for approximately what a 2' or 4' prethreaded pipe costs. (I don't remember the exact number... I built a hockey net a few years ago using Lowes pipe.)
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Gramp's shop wrote:

I do not why folks buy "pipe" when there is such a better alternative. Go over to the electrical department and buy ridgid conduit. A lot cheaper - or was the last time I bought it.
Lowes, etc, will cut and thread it for you also.
Deb
On 7/5/2013 11:47 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:

I would think that the purpose the material is to be used for, would determine what type of material you should buy REGARDLESS of cost.
There are areas that conduit will not be applicable and may create a hazard.
Keith Nuttle wrote:

How a hazard and why would it not be applicable? Understand we are talking thick walled conduit, not the thin wall.
Deb
On 7/4/2013 12:37 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

Take 2, 2x4's and cut two short blocks off of each. Attach one black on one end, the other on the opposite end AND side. Those are now your bar clamps. Us a short clamp to pull them together.
That's essentially what I did, using the wonder dogs and a couple of 2x4s. Worked great.

Yabbut, it looks a lot prettier to have several full length clamps ready for use on a moment's notice.
Besides, 2x4's are so expensive these days. :)

I have well over 2 dozen pipe clamps varying in length from around a foot to over 8 feet. I've never paid for a piece of pipe to use with the clamps. It's commonly available at demolition sites, construction sites (for the shorter lengths), places where plumbing is being upgraded, and plenty of other free sources...
(please note that while I am a cheapskate, I do buy new pipe for plumbing projects!)
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.