Homier 8" jointer

Homier is hitting town this weekend with a truck sale. I saw their flyer in our local paper, and the only thing that caught my eye was an

8" jointer (which they called a planer), with handwheels and enclosed base, for $299.

Now, I've been to a couple of Homier shows, and I generally think of them as Harbor Freight without such rigid quality control standards. ;-)

Has anyone seen one of these jointers at a Homier show? Any comments?

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

Thu, Feb 17, 2005, 10:33pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com (Kevin=A0Craig) asks: Has anyone seen one of these jointers at a Homier show?

Nope, I was looking for other stuff. Small stuff, which work just fine by the way.

Why don't you check it out, and report?

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

I will, but:

A report from checking it out at the fairgrounds is a bit different than a report from an actual user. I've seen plenty of reports on HF tools that amounted to "looked okay to me!" (as they shuffled past, filling their baskets with non-tool stuff).

The jointer in question isn't shown on their website. I don't know which "brand name" jointer might be comparable. It's got handwheels, and uses a centerpost adjustment. Enclosed base. I don't recall the specs (it wasn't my newspaper).

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

NO NO NO, don't even think of it.

Except for a screw driver I have never bought anything at Homier that didn't break on the first use. (The screwdriver has held up okay.)

Sure $300 is a great price for an 8" jointer, but it is too much money to spend on a huge gamble. The table will be so warped that nothing will ever get flat on it. Something will break the first time you try it.

They do not compare with HF in any way. Harbor Freight is crude, but it is not garbage like Homier.

But if you do buy it (and I have a sense you will) let us know how it works out.

Reply to
toller

============================== LOL.... They could be compared to HF with NO...absolutely NO quality control....

I have only been to one of their shows...(a few months ago actually) and I picked up my clip board as I entered walked around and looked at table after table of pure CRAP...and walked out the door and replaced my empty order shett still attached to the clip board...

I have seen junk before but the "stuff" on display honestly, and I mean, this could not be rated that high.... I would not risk getting a hernia carring a simple phillips head screw driver out of that hall...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Homier is in the same quality range as HF. Pure trash. A printing a picture of quality jointer would do a better job.

Dave

TeamCasa

I've bought some cast iron (skillets, dutch ovens) that have held up fine. The underlever pellet gun was wasted money, though.

They also carry Ryobi remanufactured items, and some things you can't get elsewhere, like the fence micropositioner for BT3xxx saws.

Actually, I won't. For starters, I'm broke. More important, I do my best to avoid buying crap. I've become a firm believer in buying good tools once, instead of buying junk repeatedly.

*However*... that frugality means that I also avoid paying more just to have a famous name on comparable products. I'll probably go check this jointer out and report back, just for edification of the group, and to satisfy my own curiosity.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

Just got off the phone with Homier. They have a 6" jointer for $299, but no 8" jointer at all. Must be a misprint in your newspaper. If you DO fine one there, it would be interesting since it is WAY below any price I ever saw an 8" jointer for--no matter what the condition is.

Kev> Homier is hitting town this weekend with a truck sale. I saw their

Reply to
eganders

Fri, Feb 18, 2005, 11:26am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com (Kevin=A0Craig) claims: The underlever pellet gun was wasted money, though.

Depends. I don't think it was at one of their sales, but about the same, and similar stuff. The underlever pellet pistol is totally wasted money, better off getting a slingshot. But, the underlever pellet rifles are another matter. That is the most powerful air rifle I've run across yet. And, I've owned a few. Shot at a steel drum from about 20 feet away, it does NOT bounce off, it pushes the pellet right into the steel. Got two more, one for each son, and they are great too. I'd get another one of those in a heartbet.

JOAT Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.

- David Fasold

Reply to
J T

Reply to
Phisherman

I don't think I'd ever buy a jointer from a company that calls it a planer!

Reply to
Larry Bud

The funny thing is I looked on their website for "jointers". They have only a 4"...... a '4" biscuit jointer'.

I expect their buyers neither know nor care what they are buying.

Reply to
toller

Well, this was definitely a small and crappy show even by Homier standards.

Despite not listing it on their website (and according to one respondent, not knowing anything about it when he called), they did indeed have an 8" jointer for $299. Just like in the flyer, the boxes are labelled "8 inch planer". It's Homier's "Professional Woodworker" brand, and the SKU is 03166.

They only had them in the crate, so I couldn't examine one. It comes in two boxes: the cabinet/motor, and what must be the entire upper/bed assembly, based on length of the box. Typically crappy Chinese color labels, so I couldn't see any real details. Motor was claimed to be

1-1/2 horse, 110V. Three knife cutterhead at 5,600 RPM. Handwheels for both tables. Looks like a center-post fence.

The boxes were also labelled "

", which is registered to Homier, but isn't online.

This particular trailer is heading for Mesquite, TX next, at Big Town.

If anyone gets a chance to see one of these critters out of the box, let's have a report!

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

Yup. I came away with absolutely nothing too. I've never seen so much wasted metal in one place in my life.

(Well, maybe not. I guess the most wasted metal I've seen in my life is when I went to look at the 611 and 1218 in their tomb in Roanoke. I don't think those babies are ever going to roll again.)

Reply to
Silvan

Trains, by god! I had no idea what you were talking about at first.

Someone must have bought one of these. Even with a substantial effort, that is one hell of a price for an 8". No, not the trains, the jointer.

Reply to
eganders