HOMEMADE SHAPER - PDF

http://www.vintageprojects.com/power-tools/table-shaperrouter.pdf
I'm not sure if I'd care to try making one of these or not. I'm sure I could make one, but one of the benefits of buying one store bought you've got somone to sue if the bit flies out - hard to sue yourself. Some things with wirley parts I've got no problems with making one, table saw for instance, but I just don't think so on something like this. But that's just me.
JOAT If you don't ask the right questions, the answers don't matter. - W.S. Lind

I dunno. That thing looks like it's got "HOSPITAL STAY" written all over it.
--

"Anybody can have more birthdays; but it takes
balls to get old!"

Don't worry, nothing will be lost. The shop apron has pockets for storing loose appendages!

...and Gorilla Glue.
--

"Anybody can have more birthdays; but it takes
balls to get old!"

"Once up on a time" people exhibited ingenuity and resourcefulness. I have a book showing many good wood woodworking tool you can make. It is probably 60 years old or so. You could just use a drill press, equip it with a speed changer (step pulley between motor pulley and drill press pulley) make an auxiliary table with movable fence. You would need the adaptor to replace the chuck and mount the shaper cutter.
Walt Conner

Wonder how well the drill press spindle would withstand the side loading in the long run.
Fri, Apr 27, 2007, 2:00am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (WConner) doth sayeth: "Once up on a time" people exhibited ingenuity and resourcefulness. I have a book showing many good wood woodworking tool you can make. It is probably 60 years old or so. You could just use a drill press, equip it with a speed changer (step pulley between motor pulley and drill press pulley) make an auxiliary table with movable fence. You would need the adaptor to replace the chuck and mount the shaper cutter.
I suppose that the words 'ingenuity and resourcefulness' would cover people going over Niagra Falls in a barrel. A few of them actually lived through the experiene. I've got several books showing how to make things, most of them well over 60 years old. Most of them I would have no trouble making, if I was interested ithat particular item. I draw the line tho at going over the falls in a barrel, and in making a homemade shape following plans like that. If, for some depented reason, I did opt to make my own shaper, I would make my own chuck, something I would be sure that would work, not just a drill chuck. I'm willing to take a calculated risk, but not a needless chance.
JOAT If you don't ask the right questions, the answers don't matter. - W.S. Lind

Hey! don't badmouth the shop apron. If I didn't have mine I would never find a pencil. or a tape. or a screwdriver. or my square. or my ass for that matter.
RonB
Isn't it amazing what these old mechanic's publications published before every other person on earth was a lawyer?
My mom got me a copy of "The Boy Mechanic" back in the late 1950's or the early '60's. It was a compilation of projects from Popular Mechanics that were aimed at young men. Some were for youngsters; but one of my favorites was a engine/propeller driven ice boat capable of speeds in excess of 100mph. Just what any kid needs.
RonB
"RonB" wrote in message

favorites
On the order of the "go-kart", before there was such a thing, we built in the 50's from an old 5hp Briggs and Stratton, a sheet of plywood, wheels from old wheel barrows, a centrifugal clutch found in a junk pile, and a pillow block or two for the axles. Everything else provided by basic 'hand n' foot' co-ordination.
Brakes!? ... we don't need no steenking brakes!
... and at that height, it felt like at least a hundred!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07