Hinge allignment...

Almost forgot the reason I fired up the 'Puter. When I install blind hinges, I have a tough time getting the alignment perfect. You can get one side installed, but how do you mark/drill the other side so that with the door closed the fit is "just right"? Is there a tool that you can use to mark the 2nd side kinda like the set of pins Rockler sells to allign wooden pegs between two boards? Maybe something like this?????
I <---> <----Double sided sharp points to mark the wood I I I <----Thin "handle" to hold between the hinge when marking
To use, place between the hinge leafs for location, tap/pound the door to mark the holes.
Any help or comments will be appreciated!
Rich.....

Welcome to the club. I have a small shop so I make small things, lots of boxes. I made a run of three tea chests and spent more time on the damn mortised hinges than on the boxes.
I've seen a couple videos at the FWW website; it's definitely worth the $15/yr to be an online member. Also in the paper mag.
I'll see if I can scrape up some references.
-Zz
On 10/25/2011 6:42 PM, Zz Yzx wrote:

Best I can offer is to set up to do it with the door open.
Try the edge of the table - open 90 degrees - and snug against the edge. (special tools come outta that...)
rich wrote:

That can be a bear, can't it?
What I do is one of two things...
1. Use a piece of scrap wood the same length as the interior vertical opening to lay out desired mortice positions then transfer those markings to the door and stile. If you want to be fancy, you can make a template.
2. a) Cut the stile mortice & install hinge
b) Open hinge 90 degrees
c) Rest door in 90 degree open position on cabinet bottom, shimming so bottom and top spacing is as desired
d) Mark hinge position on door face
e) Transfer marks to door edge and cut mortice
--

dadiOH

Put an appropiate size screw in a drill press (upside down), cut the head off with a metal file, it should be coned shaped. Install the hinge on the door,then Insert the cone shaped screw head in a hole you want to mark, close the hinge then align the door and press to make a mark where the screw will go.

Attach one side of the hinge then use double sided tape or hot glue to temporarily hold the remaining side after you have aligned the door and pushed it into place. Carefully open the door and mark the screw holes. Art