High pressure vs low pressure

Hi Guys,
I am looking at adding a dust collection system to my workshop when I move house in Jan.I want to build a cyclone dust collection system based on Bill Pentz design, I'll make the blower etc too. These systems are high volume low pressure units and are great for big tools with the wide dust extraction pipes.
So here is the question:
These big systems seem to work great for table saw, jointer and other large tools, but is it better to use a shopvac or similar for the random orbital and plunge router? Or can I use the big extractor and use a thinner hose (which lowers the flow rate)
Any advice will be welcome... Brent

You can use the dust collector for the small stuff also. I have a reducer at my router table fence and when adjusted for a cut that will permit suction the dust collector works very well. Placed near the bit in a drill press it catches most every thing also straight into the 4" opening.

I have the big DC connected to a router table and it works fine. However, I would think that the big hose would be *way* too cumbersome to attach to a mobile tool.
I tried reducing the dust collector and attaching it to my shop vac hose once. It performed poorly.
I think if you reduce the line right at the end it works pretty well; a long narrow hose does not work so well.
FWIW the integrated dust collection (internal fan to bag) on my Makita 5" ROS actually works pretty well. It collects maybe 75%. With a suction assist, even a modest one, I suspect it would be very effective.
Steve

My dust collection is different from most. I use 20' of flex hose and attach it to what ever tool I am using.

I use a 20" fan at may back for dust extraction when I sand. ;~)
On 27 Dec 2006 07:21:38 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@pvfc.org.za wrote:

I've tried it both ways on portable sanders and can't say I notice much difference. Haven't tried with a router. When I use the big collector with small tools with small hoses, I leave another port open so the collector isn't starved for air.
Paul F.
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 07:21:38 -0800, brent wrote:

If you're using the ROS in a fixed location then build a downdraft table and connect it to the dust collector with an additional hose to the ROS (that one you can just run into the main hose or pipe about four feet or so and it should get plenty of suction, no fancy fittings needed, but strap it down so the DC doesn't swallow it).
If you're moving it around go with the shop vac if it has a decent amount of power--trying to run a DC with just a 1-1/2" or so hose isn't going to work very well--it will suck fine through that hose but then the dust etc may not move through the larger plumbing due to reduced flow velocity.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate