Hidden mounting methods

I'm looking for information on mounting for two small projects I'm working on. The first is a 2.5 foot wide wall shelf. It has the shelf, two corbels (supports) and no back board. The second project is just a flat key rack with hooks. It's about 8 inches wide and two inches high.
I prefer to keep these projects very clean looking, so what methods have you used to mount something like this without drilling holes through the front and filling (plugging) them?
Please post back to the newsgroup, as this is my email address for spam.
TIA, Shawn
SSome mount shelves with horizontal projections from the wall that support shelves made to fit around them. Mortise & Tenon concept. I've used a keyhole router bit for things like keyholder plates.

Use a "key" hole like for picture frames. Regards, Lewis
--
There must be a hundred silver dollars in here. I can't handle that sort
o' money, you've gotta be in the league of lawyers to steal that much.
Lewis Dodd wrote:

Shawn wrote:

It would definitely be secure enough for a key rack. I have such a thing, though I didn't build it myself. Use anchors, and screw them down far enough that it's a snug fit when you slide the keyholes down into position.
I have a rather heavy (~30 pounds) mail holder/mirror/planter thingie mounted to the wall in the same fashion. I didn't build that one either. It came with the anchors.
I'm pretty sure I've seen commercial shelves similar to what you describe with keyholes in the corbels too.
Not that it's a good idea just because that's how the commercial stuff is done, mind you, but it *does* work.

I supported a heavy mantle. which was just like a giant version of the shelf you describe, by mortising in flat steel plates on the upper backs of the corbels with room for a hook mounted on the wall to fit behind. Worked great. Here is what the "hook" looked like:
| |
--
| <- Screw to wall here.

-Jack

french cleat

Oh, is that what it is called. Have they renamed them "Freedom Cleats" yet?
-Jack

Going to war without the French is like going hunting without an accordian (I found it on the 'net somewhere)
Charlie Spitzer wrote:

That would hold the shelf there, but I'm afraid of it getting bumped and come off of the cleat. The shelf is about 3/4" thick, so it would be a very small cleat.
Shawn

Do it in the corbel. You should have a few inches to work with.
-Jack
You might cut in 2 keyhole slots horizontally and add a drop of hot melt glue when you set it.
#################### Keep the whole world singing. . . Dan G (remove the 7)

IF the shelf is thick enough: use a "museum" mounting method. 45 degree angled ledger on wall and a complementary 45 degree cut into the back of the shelf.
dave