Hidden Lock Cabinet - Ply Stopped Miter

The Russian Birch ply sides of the Hidden Lock Cabinets my son and I are making for his LP Albums collection have inter- esting light/dark contrasting straight vertical parallel lines on the edges. Rather than face frame the edges to hide them, he wants to use that feature as a design element of the design to frame the front and rear birdseye maple play front and back. But where the ply sides meet the birdseye maple toe kick board he wants to interrupt these vertical lines before they reach the floor. And he also doesn't want to see the end grain of the toe kick board on the sides. That meant a stopped mitered corner on the sides and a regular mitered corner on the toe kick board .

Here are ASCII diagrams of what he has in mind

TOP VIEW 3/4?

13 ply plywood | | | | | | | | | | Stopped Miter corner | | | | | on plywood sides | | | | | Miter corner on | | | | | Birdseye toe kick | | | | |________ | | | / : | |/ : 3/4? birdseye board +------?----------

FRONT VIEW 3/4?

The problem was cutting the stopped miter on the bottom of the ply sides. Since the ply sides are 15 inches wide, a miter saw was out. Cutting a stopped miter that's only

2" long on the table saw is also awkward, especially when the sides are 29 1/4" tall. A 45 degree chamfer bit however could work - at least to cut enough of the miter to make hand cutting the rest relatively easy IF you have a fence you can move precisely AND a zero clearance insert in the fence. The JoinTech Cabinet Maker system I have has both. So the idea could be done by a newbie like my son ( who, BTW is 27, though I still call him The Kid).

Unfortunately, the chamfer bit I had would only do up to 1/2" stock and the ply sides are 3/4". Solution: A great excuse to get a 3/4" chamfer bit!

Did a test joint today and it works! One cut with a dovetail saw and some simple chisel work finishes off the last half inch the round chamfer bit can't cut. It will require some climb cuts but if he goes in small increments and uses a feather board to hold the stock against the fence it should be something he can do.

I'm sure he doesn't realize that the harder part will be cutting the toe kick board to precisely the right length.

Wonder what he'll come up with next.

Fun this woodworking thing.. charlie b

Reply to
charlie b