HF COMBINATION 4'' BELT & 6'' DISC SANDER

ANYONE HAVE ONE? DO YOU THINK ITS WORTH THE $69.99 HARBOR FREIGHT PART # 36402-1VGA. ANY COMMENTS GOOD OR BAD THANKS STEVE

Reply to
steve

changed my name to steve in PA

Reply to
steve in PA

Good as what?

Main problem with these small ones is that the table in front of the disk is worse than worthless. It is difficult to set, almost impossible to keep from vibrating, and vulnerable to any bump.

The belt isn't significantly larger than a hand-held sander, and traditionally difficult to track.

I got one for nothing from a guy moving overseas, and it wasn't worth what I paid for it.

Gave it to a guy who thought he could make it work, where it resided for a couple of weeks.

Present location unknown.

Reply to
George

Yes and it works great, except for a bit of slippage when I really bear down on it. The comment about the 6" disk is true.

Being cheap, what I dd was order a 6" face plate for the 12x36 lathe that HF has and mount a 12" disk of MDF on it, and applied a 12" sanding disk. Presto a 12" sanding disk for less than $10.00 - assuming you have a lathe, that is.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Reply to
William T Bartlett

Have one w/ 6X48 belt, 9" disc, works ok.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

I have a similar benchtop sander from Delta. The Delta product works well and suites my needs. These belt sanders generate a HUGE amount of dust. The Delta hooks into my shop vac. From the picture, there is no dust collection capacity of the HF product and that is a significant defect..

Reply to
Jim Giblin

I was going to chime in with the same. I've looked at the HF model in its Homier guise, and it doesn't have anything like dust collection. I'd get the Delta for sure.

The OP said $79.99, and IIRC the Delta is currently going for more than $80 but less than $90 at Lowe's every day. It's a no brainer at that price.

The Delta looks to be slightly better designed than the Crapsman or Grizzly version of this thing too, and it's cheaper than all of them.

Reply to
Silvan

Jim & Group, I got one some time ago to replace an old Sears unit {the bearings had gone}. It was only about $50 with NO SHIPPING so it was about the same as replacing the bearings.

What caught my eye was the LARGE 'external' motor. More 'guts' and probably cheaply re-wound IF it croaked. A lot heavier as well.

That was about 5 years ago. Don't use it every day, but handy to have around. I just use a bungee cord to hold the nozzle of a 'shop vac' under the belt {lower 'drive spool'} . . . cuts the dust by about 95%.

Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop

Reply to
Ron Magen