HF 15ga nailer? (or others, for that matter)?

Folks,

Anybody brave enough to buy this nailer recently?

's one post in the group from Jan '04 indicating ~60% jam rate. Not good. (MattH is the poster).

It's currently on sale for $70, but if it's a POS, it's still a POS.

(Yeah, I know HF's general reputation. I also know that a lot of folks, me included, have the little 18ga nailer and have had really good luck with that one).

Any other recommendations for 15ga nailers that won't break the bank?

One last question -- HF's web page lists 10-12 cfm for this particular nailer. Can that possibly be right? That seems really high for a nail gun.

(My intended use is to nail up backing boards prior to installing crown molding in the mudporch; I don't need something that's industrial quality).

Reply to
John Thomas

on 6/28/2005 1:07 PM John Thomas said the following:

It sure does. Reading through some of their product descriptions you have to wonder what the hell they're thinking of.

I was tempted to say that the example above looks like somebody missed a decimal point (and that might still be the case) but even their 10 gauge nailers are all over the place. One lists consumption at 3.0 to 3.5 and another upwards of 10 cfm. Consumption is not listed for many of their tools.

FWIW I have the PC 15 gauge and it makes no difference whether I'm running it of a larger stationary air compressor in the shop or off a little oil-less BORG $100 special that I picked up to do some trim work in the house rather than buying a couple hundred feet of hose.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Unquestionably Confused wrote in news:lGgwe.6993 $ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

I like the looks of the PC, and know it's well made, but the price is a bit out of my range for my intended use. (I know, cry once and be done with it, right?)

Regards, JT

Reply to
John Thomas

Why don't you just rent one for 20$ for a weekend?

Wally

Reply to
Wally

Wally wrote in news:59o3c19mt2k3qul3t79i8qchi9pnlvve05@

4ax.com:

I've actually thought of that, but that would mean I'd have to be ready to use it.

It also violates the "new project, new tool" rule, but it is an option to consider.

(I really did that when buying a tall extension ladder (2 story + daylight basement home) -- wasn't sure what length I really needed, vs how much ladder was "too tall" ...)

Regards,

JT

Reply to
John Thomas

John Thomas wrote in news:Xns968371276F47Cjohnthomasintelcom@10.7.208.6:

I bought the 16 ga straight nose PC nailer at HD for $159 last week, because a POS is ALWAYS a POS, and a frustrating day or two lost to crappy tools stays lost forever. Even when you are doing it for yourself.

More so when there is stock to stage, scaffold or ladders to move, and tools to set up. Life's too short, and there are too many competing good things to do.

If money's tight, then perhaps hand nailing is an option.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

I second this opinion 100%

Hand nailing never killed anyone. A handful of nails cost a few dollars and we all have a hammer.

It's not worth buying cheap stuff and I think it's criminal to buy off shore junk in which one has not other interest than the rock bottom price just too good to be true.

Just my opinion... ;)

Wally

Reply to
Wally

I've got 2 of their cheap 18 ga. brad guns... about $20 on sale... both work well and keep on working, no jams that I can remember

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis