Help with finish on Ipe

I've just completed the woodworking part of a table base made out of ipe. It is a simple design using 2x2 legs and 1x4 stretchers. I'm now in the finishing stage and have run into a problem. I've used ipe before and made somewhat similar tables using different size stock from different boards. Usually I finish it with three hand rubbed coats of Tried & True linseed oil and a final coat of wax- sometimes neutral tone, other times a tinted wax. I've never noticed a drastic difference in the coloration or tone of the wood. However on this project the 1x4 stock is much lighter than the 2x2 stock. Before applying the oil there didn't seem to be such a dramatic difference. After two coats of oil I applied a coat of Watco dark satin wax to everything hoping that it would even out the difference but no luck. Again, in the past I've used the Watco dark satin wax after the Tried & True and it takes the whole thing a bit darker. At this point I'm wondering if I can take some artist oil colors- maybe raw umber or black and tint the tried & true oil (or possibly the Watco?) and try to even out the color difference. I don't mind if it gets darker as long as there isn't such a difference between the pieces. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dale

Reply to
Dale