help with bad varathane results?

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some advice with a problem I'm having finishing a piece of furniture. The piece was primed and then painted with two coats of latex paint. For finishing I used Varathane water-based Crystal Clear Satin interior spray can. After one coat it looks terrible--lots of globs of polyurethane. I realize this probably wasn't the best product to use, but for now, is there anything I can do to remedy these spots, or is stripping and starting over again the only option? Thanks very much for any help.
Bad can perchance? I've sprayed waterbased lacquer and waterbased polyurethane as top coatd over latex with no problems, but I used gloss to avoid the flatteners that are in Satin. Make sure the latex has cured before spraying/brushing. I've also used the pads touted for trimming to apply WB polyurethane on latex.

Actually, I misstated something--the varathane spray was actually oil- based, not water-based. But what I'm really trying to find out is what can I do about the result--will sanding get rid of the globs, or do I need to do something more drastic?

Do I seem to remember that you can put latex over oil, but not the reverse?
In any event, I'd sand, re-prime (if necessary) and then re-spray
--
Thanks,
Ham

<< >

Do I seem to remember that you can put latex over oil, but not the reverse?
In any event, I'd sand, re-prime (if necessary) and then re-spray
--
Thanks,
Ham

I have not used spray varathane but have used the stuff in a can that is made to be brushed on. The brush on has to be thinned , otherwise it does not flow well. I think you sprayed too heavy a coat,like any finish multiple light coats are better than one or two heavy coats. Fortunately this can be remedied.If you are familiar with a cabinet scraper ( card type ) you can level off the high spots on flat work with it. If you wish you can sand the high spots off, you will clog the paper quickly though. When done clean up with a paper towel damped in mineral spirits. You may need an additional coat of finish, any brushable varnish thinned down slightly should be compatible with varathane. Check compatability before using varnish.
mike