Help on staining and glue

If I stain a tenon or a tongue with stain only (no finish such as shellac or varnish) will that interfere with the glue bond making a weaker joint? In other words can I apply stain to my whole project and then assemble without problems? Or am I asking for trouble doing this? Thanks once again for the advice. Larry

Reply to
larry in cinci

Stain is a sealer and it will interfere with wood glue. The strength of a joint has more to do with the joint itself rather than the glue. You can use masking tap to protect the tenon.

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
larry in cinci