Help needed with crop circle

Page 2 of 2

On Tue, 17 May 2005 19:11:05 -0400, the inscrutable Robatoy

Ever look at one of those power or health bar thingies? Crikey, there's so much sugar in one of them it puts me into sugar shock just looking at it. What misnomers!
------------------------------------------ Do the voices in my head bother you? ------------------------------------------ http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcast.dot.net says...

Gee. MON must have taken tips from my long deceased mother. She planted tires back in the '30s and '40s. Of course, come to think of it, so did everyone else in the neighborhood :-).
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

On Mon, 16 May 2005 18:13:44 -0600, Vince Heuring

I have to agree with Patriarch here. Build it out of something cheaper like paving stones or something. Even 2x12 spf will last many years and you can just build another when it starts to go.
I learned my lesson building a compost bin for my wife. I thought treated would get chemicals in the compost and pine or fir wouldn't last..... ah ha, redwood. I ordered out some 2x4 and some 1x8 and built a pretty nice bin with two hinged lids and fronts that slide out for shoveling and everyone was happy. Then, the material bill came. I had built the most expensive compost bin known to man! Ten years later, it's still out there and every spring I get reminded of how much it cost! When it finally falls apart, I'm buying her a roll of chicken wire.:-)
Mike O.
Mike wrote:

Amortized over 10 years, it's probably the lowest cost compost bin on the planet, especially if you use your current labor rate, which is based on your years of experience building quality compost bins, to build a replacement<G>.
Lew
On Tue, 17 May 2005 04:07:38 GMT, Lew Hodgett

When someone asks "How much did it cost to build that?" and I tell them.....this weird look comes across their face. It's that "Your out of your freakin mind!" look.<g> Nobody else ever wanted me to build em one.
Mike O.

Then whatever number you gave them was a 'good number'.
I have a $3500 (materials only) garden shed that gets the same sort of response. Why does a garden shed _need_ a leaded glass entry door? :-)
Patriarch
On Tue, 17 May 2005 19:25:13 -0500, Patriarch

LOL... Good point!

You did that on purpose?? <g>
Mike O.

The door set was on closeout at the Borg. I thought it was $99, and it was on the cart, with a couple of other things, (OK, the stack was 4' high). The pricing was wrong, but we worked it out, and I took it anyway.
Another name for these little houses in the garden is 'garden folly'. Seems apt.
But there is space in the garage shop for power tools that was previously occupied by stuff now stored in a respectable outbuilding. And since it can be seen from the back street, and isn't, in the strictest of interpretations, properly sited, I had to make it 'nice'. The city has no complaints, because it was 'done nicely'.
But to be able to honestly answer folks who ask what it would cost for me to make them one, when I really don't want to, is priceless.
Patriarch
Vince Heuring wrote:

<snip>
SFWIW, one of the recent This Old House episodes covered using cobble stones imbedded in concrete to construct an herb garden.
Think it will be around a while.
Lew
On Tue, 17 May 2005 04:11:35 GMT, Lew Hodgett
Not easy for building compost tumblers though....

4ax.com: <snip>

My compost bin has a concrete block back wall, and recycled redwood side boards. I'm fortunate that 'fast composting' works well here, though. Even a modest output of shavings from the planer or lathe seems to fill it up quickly.
Lew's right. Think of it in terms of labor invested ten years ago, when you were younger & stronger. The returns are that you don't have to rebuild any time soon.
Patriarch