Help, I need little L-brackets and don't have tools!

Hi again ya'll,

Well I asked about where to finding L-brackets and now I know a half a dozen ways to make up my own little L-brackets or get around them. Thanks for all the ideas but I really just just want a source to get the pre-made pieces.

Ya'll are a creative bunch. But you guys already have tools and stuff, I only have my cordless screwdriver and yardstick, that's why I buy stuff like the 'easy home assembly' micorwave cart that only needs a phillip screwdriver to put it together. No shop vises and drills and saws and hammers to beat things into shape with. And even if I had a way to hold down the 1" Stanley brackets to try and saw the ends off them that would cut the holes in half when I got them short enough not to stick out.

Anyway I looked at Big Lots and TruValue on the way home for stuff. A bench vise, that's $11.95 for a 6 inch one. Then a drill, that's $17.95. And a drill bit assortment, $2.99. And a hacksaw, $1.99. Now maybe I might could use those tools someday for something but that's just silly right now to get into $35+ of tools and stuff for the $2 parts to fit on a $5 kitchen cart. And not even counting a bench yet to put the bench vise on. Or the piece of angled iron. But I did go ahead and get the '16 oz hickory handle claw hammer' for $1.79, now I can hang up pictures with something other than a can of beans. .

Anyway if I find the little L-brackets, I can still get the last part of this cart together with only my cordless screwdriver. Can't anybody say a place besides Rockler that sells the odd little hardware parts?

Thanks,

Sheri Lee W

There Norm, is that a woeful tale enough for you?

Reply to
Sheri L

Now you see why you have some tools around the house...unless you're going to be content to be in this bind every time either breaks or needs patching/repairing and spend far more than you've mentioned for minor repairs, I think you're stuck...

Only suggestion I would have would be to find a really large industrial supply house locally that will also sell over the counter and hope they've something or the equivalent in a large old-timey (not the ACE or other new-age plastic-bagged type of place) if your're adamant that it's gotta' be the size you want or nothing.

I think the best solution is the angle cut to length, but use a piece of Al, not Fe.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Try looking for corner brackets. Looks like 1"x1" may be about the smallest, but you may find smaller with retailers of jewelery supplies. Here's a link:

The brackets are about half way down the page.

ACE has them in brass:

This what you're looking for?

LD

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Well, if you had a Lee Valley close to you, should be able to get some of these:

're still larger than you wanted, at 13/16" long, and they're sold in bags of 50, but what the heck... If nothing else, this might give you another search term, rather than "L-brackets".

Clint

Reply to
Clint

Any standard hardware store will have the type of brackets you're looking for.

Reply to
AAvK

Go to Home Depot or Lowes, go to where they stock the aluminum or steel barstock, they usually also have right angle stock. Get some where the sides are the appropriate length, take home, hacksaw off the pieces you want, then use your electric drill to drill holes for the screws.

Fairly cheap, and you can make them any WIDTH you want in case you need more support than just a small L-bracket would supply

Of course, both sides of these homemade L-brackets would be the same length, so if that is a problem, get the stock in aluminum and then hacksaw or file which ever leg needs to be shortened

John

Reply to
John

Brass might be easier to work and plenty strong enough for the OPs application. He should try the local hobby shop.

Reply to
lgb

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:29:12 -0500, Duane Bozarth posted:

Hi again Duane,

What is it with you men?

Since I bought the hammer, I have all the tools I need for what I ever want to do. Hang the piture and put my cart together. If something big comes I will ask some guys from church to help us, I think this missing part is too little to bother them.

Sheri L

Reply to
Sheri L

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 01:38:42 GMT, Lobby Dosser posted:

Hi LD,

Yes thats it, I think 1x1 is the small as they come at the hardware chain stores, but now I see they also call them 'corner brackets' so I will search for that.

This is the best help so far, thanks a lot!

Sheri L

Reply to
Sheri L

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 01:51:08 GMT, "Clint" posted:

Clint you are my hero, I click around there just one step up and see this,

which is just the right size for me and bags of 20 for 50 cents less even!

Thank you for listening to what I needed, everybosy else here seems to just want me investing a machine shop of tools and make them up myself.

I am going place my order tonight, thanks so much again!

XOXOXO

Sheri Lee

Reply to
Sheri L

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:18:38 -0700, "AAvK" posted:

Bzzzt wrong answer but thanks for playing. It's not the type is a problem but the size is.

Sheri L

Reply to
Sheri L

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 14:26:18 -0500, John posted:

Oh here we go with this again. John did you even read what I wrote, I didn't think so! Maybe read it now.

Like promtheus says, 'sigh'

Sheri L

Reply to
Sheri L

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:37:06 -0700, lgb posted:

That's a good idea, I will go to Hobby Lobby tomorrow. Maybe look at big dollhouses too now that I have a hammer.

Sheri L

Reply to
Sheri L

corner hardware. definetly, you need a good relationship with your corner hardware store. They have more litte bitty shapes and pieces than any bLowes or Home Despot. And usually have decent fellows to help you find the stuff you need.

Ace Hardware, True Value, HWI, something like that.

-Dan V.

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

Really depends on one's interests and abilities. Some folks should _not_ attempt home repairs--that's not disparaging them, there's usually something else that they're _really_ good at, but for some folks just touching a tool results in disaster. He might be one of them.

And if one is making ten million dollars a year in arbitrage or some such then hiring work done is definitely the reasonable thing to do unless one takes joy in doing it oneself or needs the anodyne.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Sheri L wrote: ...

..

Well, a hammer won't too well for a screw, will it? But, I've seen a lot who will try... :( As I noted in the other thread, if you're content to either pay for or have someone else donate their effort to fix any problem in residence, that's your choice...sounds immature and possibly selfish to me, but that's just me... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

"J. Clarke" wrote: ...

Then buying open-crate stuff at Big Lots to save $15 and searching for a bracket and bitching about buying a couple of cheap tools wouldn't seem to be an issue, either. :)

I was simply put off by Sheri's response to reasoned suggestions to fabricate a simple piece as "too hard, too expensive when it wasn't really much expense or effort at all" when she started out buy trying to get by on the cheap. Then when she compounded that by noting she got some church fellows to do all her maintenance for her, that smacked to me of simply using people. Perhaps I'm a little touchy on the subject just now having been through a period of extensive storm damage volunteer work here and seeing both the good and some very bad in what people would do/expect from volunteers... :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 09:34:37 -0400, "J. Clarke" posted:

Exactly, now it looks like you are someone who can LISTEN and THINK instead of just runnig out and buy tools first. I just am not interested in fixing things arouind the house, that's what landlords are for.

What I am really good at is sewing and I make almost all of my three kids clothes, everyone always wants to know whre I got them and doesn't believe that I did them myself and without any patterns. I am also a good cook and baker, I make the custom cakes for birthdays and parties and weddings for people from church. $35 a pop on a one layer cake and I have to tell alot of people 'no' because I'm too busy and first come first served.

Now the next time you guys want a cinnamon roll you need to go out buy some pans and a new oven, that's about the same as what you tell me here.

I mainly work as waitress at a very nice steakhouse just evenings, I average about $1200 weekly in tips for 4 nites a week. That's the other thing men are good for.

Sheri L

Reply to
Sheri L

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 15:39:03 -0500, Duane Bozarth posted:

It wasn't 'open crate' it was a sealed up box, that's why I got $15 of my $20 back. And stuff you will never use again, even if you could use it at all, if it comes cheap or expensive is not worth more than any $1 store stuff. So, I don't pay more than that to use it just once. Now if someone says a way to make 20 of my parts for $1.90, $7.90 total with shipping, the toatl of the little L-brackets I ordered + shipipng, now's your chance. Any Takers? I didn't think so.

And I didn't bitch about 'a couple of cheap tools'. YA'LL bitched because I wouldn't just go get a bunch of stuff and try to fabricant something up.

Just what is your trip Duane? I guess be put off all you want. Your 'reasoned suggestions' don't reason with me at all. You talk about a thing I don't want to try to do and I have proved to everyone here that it's 17+ times the value of the end product. And not count my time.

And yes I use whatever and whoever I can get. As long as there are 100's of you guys following around with your tounges hanging out and your knuckles all dragging then I can always get AT LEAST one of you to do stuff for me for free. You can blame my jerk ex-huband for that, maybe it will help if you just think of it as 'payback to your gender'.

Any gals out there, well now you know what your husband or BF or whatever is doing when he's 'just going to help out a freind' but won't be more specific about what. Well I'm here to tell you gals, don't worry, because guys, NONE of you is going to get lucky. They are all HWMOMs to us gals that need help.

Sheri L

Reply to
Sheri L

And you brag about getting the people from church to help you also. Maybe a few knuckle draggers will do what you want, but we also know what your type of person really is.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski