Hello all, my name is Rob. I stained some cherry.

A fireplace mantle I am working on for the HomeShow. This is just 1/3 of the whole thing. It shows the detail that the router can do. 3/16" ball-nose bit. 4 hours of machine time. But that's the fun part, I built a vanity while it was doing that. I put a PolyShade on it, to give a bit of pop. I liked the natural cherry better, but you couldn't see any detail that way. I was pleasantly surprised with the test result. Learned a lot. The total piece is 6" x 46"

bought the file. There is also a logging train one that I might try some day. Then I will learn to create my own 3D images like that from grey-scale high-rez pictures.

Reply to
Robatoy

.in an adolescent episode and had to get rid of the evidence

Reply to
Bored Borg

You could have painted it ... ;)

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

Reply to
Robatoy

Anyone who stains Cherry should be hung by his thumbs.

Reply to
Ulysses

C',mon, you've never sprayed flat black on some Zebrawood and finished it with a nice coat of Nitrocellulose? 'Fess up...

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

While I generally agree, I'd like to show an "almost stained" cherry project. My middle daughter's birthday is today and SWMBO and I built this vanity stool for her:

did the upholstery. I did the frame. The finish on the frame starts with a wash coat of dark garnet shellac, followed by three coats of the Sam Maloof oil finish (equal parts, tung oil, BLO, and poly). The oil was heavily tinted with Trans-Tint Red Mahogany.

The target is a match to a factory made cherry bedroom suite they own. Of course, the cherry will darken with time, so I needed to guess what it would look like in a year or so.

The cross pieces are mortised into the legs and each other. I pinned the leg joints with 1/4" cherry dowel. There is a swivel from Woodcraft between the set and frame:

gave me a lathe Christmas before last. This is my first "real" project using it.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Form follows function. and that is my kind of style. Simple, yet elegant. Very nice. I am scared to death to even try a lathe..it would be sooo addicting.

Reply to
Robatoy

Nice look to the color in my opinion.

The legs look like they are one piece not laminated. Thick Cherry ain't cheap eh?

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Thank you, sir. That was what I was aiming at.

SWMBO has been saying for years that I needed a lathe. I was resisting because I am still learning the tools I've got. But when she took me to Woodcraft and said "Get what you want", how could I refuse? The woman is a keeper.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Worse than that. I had some left over 8/4 cherry that was going to be enough to make the legs. But there was a hunk of sap wood I couldn't avoid, so I ended up buying another plank of 8/4. So I've got more left overs than I started with. Oh, well. It will find a home sooner or later. -- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Was that a drive-by?

If you need to find a home for that cherry, let me know.

jc

Reply to
Joe