Hello all, my name is Rob. I stained some cherry.

A fireplace mantle I am working on for the HomeShow. This is just 1/3 of the whole thing. It shows the detail that the router can do. 3/16" ball-nose bit. 4 hours of machine time. But that's the fun part, I built a vanity while it was doing that. I put a PolyShade on it, to give a bit of pop. I liked the natural cherry better, but you couldn't see any detail that way. I was pleasantly surprised with the test result. Learned a lot. The total piece is 6" x 46"
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/?action=view&current=ForestDetail.jpg
I bought the file. There is also a logging train one that I might try some day. Then I will learn to create my own 3D images like that from grey-scale high-rez pictures.
.in an adolescent episode and had to get rid of the evidence
Robatoy wrote:

http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o290/Robatoy/?action=view&current=ForestDetail.jpg
You could have painted it ... ;)

> Tim Daneliuk =A0 =A0 snipped-for-privacy@tundraware.com
> PGP Key: =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0http://www.tundraware.com/PGP /
Robatoy wrote:

C',mon, you've never sprayed flat black on some Zebrawood and finished it with a nice coat of Nitrocellulose? 'Fess up...
Anyone who stains Cherry should be hung by his thumbs.

While I generally agree, I'd like to show an "almost stained" cherry project. My middle daughter's birthday is today and SWMBO and I built this vanity stool for her:
http://douglasjohnson.org/pictures/Vanity%20Stool.jpg
SWMBO did the upholstery. I did the frame. The finish on the frame starts with a wash coat of dark garnet shellac, followed by three coats of the Sam Maloof oil finish (equal parts, tung oil, BLO, and poly). The oil was heavily tinted with Trans-Tint Red Mahogany.
The target is a match to a factory made cherry bedroom suite they own. Of course, the cherry will darken with time, so I needed to guess what it would look like in a year or so.
The cross pieces are mortised into the legs and each other. I pinned the leg joints with 1/4" cherry dowel. There is a swivel from Woodcraft between the set and frame: http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID M51&FamilyID65
SWMBO gave me a lathe Christmas before last. This is my first "real" project using it.
-- Doug

Form follows function. and that is my kind of style. Simple, yet elegant. Very nice. I am scared to death to even try a lathe..it would be sooo addicting.

Thank you, sir. That was what I was aiming at.

SWMBO has been saying for years that I needed a lathe. I was resisting because I am still learning the tools I've got. But when she took me to Woodcraft and said "Get what you want", how could I refuse? The woman is a keeper.
-- Doug
Nice look to the color in my opinion.
The legs look like they are one piece not laminated. Thick Cherry ain't cheap eh?

Worse than that. I had some left over 8/4 cherry that was going to be enough to make the legs. But there was a hunk of sap wood I couldn't avoid, so I ended up buying another plank of 8/4. So I've got more left overs than I started with. Oh, well. It will find a home sooner or later. -- Doug

Was that a drive-by?
If you need to find a home for that cherry, let me know.
jc