Heatilator unit in fireplace.

I'm contemplating doing a mantelpiece to replace a really ugly thing that I've presently got. The problem is that the one I'm thinking of as a replacement (an arts and crafts type done by Mario Rodriguez in FWW a couple of years ago) would require me to cover the outlet vents from the Heatilator unit. It doesn't really put out that much heat, The unit is at least 30 years old and is not very efficient but the cumulative effect of blocking it off might put the temperature to a not desirable (dangerous) point.
Any thoughts on this, and I realize this might not be the place to be asking? TIA for any input.
Tom Cavanagh
Don't block the vents. If you do you will risk trouble. Heatilator units need air circulation to keep the metal fire box from overheating. If you don't cause a fire you will likely destroy the metal fire box.
I've seen some clever mantlepiece designs where the ugly metal registers were replaced with wooden louvers that blended in the design and made too look less obvious. Why don't you try doing something like that.
--
Charley

"Tom Cavanagh" < snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net> wrote in message
Tom Cavanagh wrote:

Heatilator, wow, have not heard that term in years. My dad had one built in our fireplace when I was a kid over 40 years ago. It was built in behind arizona sandstone and had 2 fans under the hearth to suck in the cold air and blow hot air out the top. Excremely efficient and heated to 20x30 LR fast and furious. The fans died and he died but my mom still uses it w/o them. I'd suggest you do not cover them as the built up heat has got to have some place to go. A little innovation and I think you'll come up with a great looking idea to change the face but keep the vents. John
Unwelcome but not wholly unexpected responses, back to the drawing board I guess. Thanks for the input.
Tom