Have you used a sanding table?

Page 2 of 2
On Sun 05 Dec 2004 10:45:24a, "Dick Snyder"

Haven't built one yet, but next spring I'm planning to make one out of twobyfours and a piece of pegboard that I saw someplace. Looks like a simple solution with a short build time.
I don't have room for a sanding table so I do the next best thing; hook up my sanders to a Fein vac. I hardly notice any sanding dust when using the vac.
DAVID
Dick Snyder wrote:

I found that the solution was not at all effective. In fact the downdraft table I built was loaded into the back of the pickup today while I was giving the shop a major cleaning and will be left at the landfill the next time I'm out in that direction. Far more effective for me has been a direct connection from my DC to my 5" and 6" Bosch sanders, both of which have perforated pads and fairly effective dust pickup. And in just the last few days I've been able to trump that by connecting the brand new Fein Turbo III vac with HEPA filter. The DC worked pretty well but drawing through the required small hose was a real drag on its efficiency -- but the Fein seems to suck several times more air through the same size hose. And it has the advantage of being able to switch on and off with the sander, a trick my DC never learned. I suspect that if one were to build a big dedicated sanding table with a really powerful blower like the squirrel cage unit from a home furnace and several layers of good filters and more open area than pegboard can provide downdraft might be effective but the halfway solution just didn't work for me.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 11:45:24 -0500, "Dick Snyder"

Like so many other things in my shop, I copied Ken Vaugn's box..
http://home.earthlink.net/~kvaughn65j/sanding_tbl_top.jpg