Hardwood Supply

Page 2 of 2

Brilliant! _ing Brilliant!

There used to be a couple places up the street from me that put out pallets for people to take. Not any more. But I would cut them up for firewood. Then I noticed that some of them were unusually heavy and hard. The chainsaw had difficulty cutting through them.
I began to cut the ends, nails, etc and save the good parts. I never knew what kind of wood it was. Just that they came from all over the world and some of the wood was wildly figured and unusally colored.
I had a pretty good stack of this and was contemplating projects for this pile of mystery wood. Then one day a friend brought somebody by who examined the pile and got very excited. He apparently knew about some of this wood. Now this is the part where it gets surreal. He pulled some money out of his pocket and started waving it around. He wanted to buy all of it.
I figured I would just get more of this up the street. In a moment of weakness, I took the cash. Then the folks up the street moved and my source was no longer available. Oh, well.....

I still have some of the nice pine from the shipping crate some of our stuff was shipped in from Holland. Until a few months ago some of it served as the base of a window seat bench. Eventually I'll have used it all up. Of course, this was just a pine container, not exotic wood.
--
Best regards
Han

What surprised me is nobody in Customs thought to wonder why his crates were made of 2" and 3" slabs of wood. I'd have expected them to charge him import duty on hardwoods, but he got it all in under the radar just for the cost of shipping. He brought back a lot of cool furniture too, his seats-eight dining-room table is a slab of some African hardwood that must be 4" thick, all hand-carved. Clever bastard. ;~)
Marty wrote:

Yes.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I like Hardwood Lumber Company of Dallas. They're on the web. Ask for Tom (it's not me).
Tom
Well, I have noticed that Wild Wood Designs is about half the cost of Woodcraft. So I was wondering what other online sources you guys might favor more than the other. I can get tons of wood over 1/2", but unfortunately I don't have a planer and my re-sawing skills are weak. I guess now would be a good time to improve on that...and/or get a planer. Any tips?
Marty wrote:

Advantage Lumber in Buffalo, NY sells thin domestic and exotic lumber. Be advised that for shipping they have a minimum order requirement of $100 per item.
http://www.advantagelumber.com/thinwood.htm
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA