harbor frieght tools

"The thing was the most poorly made POS power tool I ever bought in my life. The good news is I saved a few bucks. The bad news is that if I ever need one again, I'll have to buy one again.

Joe Barta"

As I should have said in my original post, ya pays your money and ya takes your chance. I know it's a gamble with HF, more so than a lot of other places. But so far I'm winning and the bets aren't large so I keep coming back.

Reply to
else24

I've taken chances with HF. Sure sometimes I get crap (cordless drills), sometimes a "gem". IMO, the slider was a great deal for a "Franklin".

Reply to
Keith

*Exactly* No, I'm not going to buy a table saw from HF, but the OP would do well to look seriously at this tool, understanding that it's not a Makita.
Reply to
Keith

Slider over a non-slider? What's so hard to understand? That's why I bought the HF slider for cheap money.

Reply to
Keith

RE: Subject

"Harbor Freight" and "tools" are mutually exclusive terms.

Having said that, I buy a lot of consumables from them such as latex gloves, chip brushes, etc.

If I need tools, I go to people who sell tools.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I've had one for about 4 years and think its great. I could not get my Delta chopsaw to stay adjusted, once I adjusted the Harbor Freight it has stayed adjusted. I would not use it for picture frames, but for framing, trim, etc., it works fine. A great tool for the money.

Reply to
Wally

Wed, Jan 18, 2006, 10:48pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Vic=A0Baron) listeth: I have their 6" jointer and an el cheapo drill press and they've worked flawlessly. Had a belt/disc sander combo

I don' got no jointer, but forgot to say that I've got the bench drill press, wood lathe, belt/disc sander, and a 4" grinder or two. They're all still working just fine.

JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

Reply to
J T

I don't have one, but have heard a lot of complaints about flexing of the slide... If you buy a bargain tool and realize that you only get what you pay for, HF is a great place to play...

As to the CMS, I'd get the non-slider and take some time to set it up... if you NEED the slider, I'd suggest a more expensive tool..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Reply to
Mike Berger

Reply to
Mike Berger

Thu, Jan 19, 2006, 10:28am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@shout.net (Mike=A0Berger) asketh: Cummins? They do the truckload thing around here two or three times a year.

Yep, I'm sure that's the one. Like I said, the Chinese air rifle is the only thing I've seen there I'd consider buying - great deal. I got the air pistol too, but wouldn't buy another.

JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

Reply to
J T

Thu, Jan 19, 2006, 10:30am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@shout.net (Mike=A0Berger) sayeth: I so rarely need the extra range of a slider. That's why I asked. So it's the feature, and not the quality, that makes you choose it over the others. It's helpful to know that if you're recommending it to someone.

I'd been considering a miter saw. But, the non-sliders probably won't cut quite the width I'd need, so I''d been looking at the HF slider. But, then I came across one of my old Popular Mechanics magazines - got plans on making a non-sliding compound miter saw, using a circular saw. Neat. Then ran across my Capotosto's book on jigs, and "it's" got plans for a "crosscut platform", which uses a circular saw - and is in essence, a compound sliding miter saw - but one you make yourself. Very neat. So, I'll probably pass on buying a miter saw, it'd be a lot more fun making my own version. Quite possible I'll buy another circular saw tho, my B&D is somewhere around "too old to remember how old".

JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.

Reply to
J T

Ok, I simply find sliders easier to use (more like a RAS). I don't=20 think I'd use a CMS if I had one.

I suppose. I'm not terribly happy with the accuracy or power of a=20 circular saw for much other than basic frame carpentry and perhaps=20 cutting panels down to size (with appropriate fences/clamps). FOr=20 the $100 I didn't expect much form the HF slider and was pleasantly=20 surprised.

;-)

--=20 Keith

Reply to
Keith Williams

Good Question which I should have elaborated upon in posting. Two reasons: (1) The sliding aspect gives me wider sawing capacity which I frequently need, and (2) When making angle cuts this particular HF saw is more accurate than either the Delta or Makita. Only reason I don't get rid of the extra saws is that the Makita is mounted in an eight foot table with markings & stops and the Delta is my portable mitre saw because it is a little smaller and lighter and I can more easily lug it around. The HF is definitely more noisy but seems strong and hasn't died yet! For what it's worth. sdh. .

Reply to
Steve Hopper

Nonsense. There are snobs everywhere though.

Me too. Most of my purchases from HF are such things, but that doesn't mean they have no decent tools.

Like Crapsman? ;-)

Reply to
Keith

Harbor Freight sells tools. Lots of them! I been there. I seen them!

Joe Barta

Reply to
Joe Barta

Keith responds:

To each his own.

I wrote:

Keith responds:

Isn't that another name for HF?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It is a piece of junk and you really do get what you pay for. I have a HF near me and went to take a look at one. The travel is stiff at best and looks like it will cut less accurately than my RAS and that is a Craftsman. If you need it for possible framing it might just get by but I would be afraid to use it myself.

Reply to
TBone

Give me a break. Craftsman is about

1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,00 0,000,000,000,000 times better than the crap sold at HF.
Reply to
TBone

Look a little closer. Some of it is identical, except for the sticker (e.g. router bits), some is only slightly different or has a different color, at a 40 percent higher cost. Just because it is a Sears or other store doesn't mean it is different? Bought a flimsy but large dustpan at Lowes that was 5 times the cost of the identical item at the dollar store. Bought an HF short extension with 3 outlets and HF. The exact identical item cost 3 times the amount at HD and 4 times the amount at Lowes and Sears. I also note that Lowes larger electrical extension are now much lower and closer to the HF price and they usually have a different color.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon