harbor frieght tools

Page 2 of 3

"The thing was the most poorly made POS power tool I ever bought in my life. The good news is I saved a few bucks. The bad news is that if I ever need one again, I'll have to buy one again.
Joe Barta"
As I should have said in my original post, ya pays your money and ya takes your chance. I know it's a gamble with HF, more so than a lot of other places. But so far I'm winning and the bets aren't large so I keep coming back.
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:24:49 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

*Exactly* No, I'm not going to buy a table saw from HF, but the OP would do well to look seriously at this tool, understanding that it's not a Makita.
--
Keith

It is a piece of junk and you really do get what you pay for. I have a HF near me and went to take a look at one. The travel is stiff at best and looks like it will cut less accurately than my RAS and that is a Craftsman. If you need it for possible framing it might just get by but I would be afraid to use it myself.
"Keith" < snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzz> wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 13:08:17 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I've taken chances with HF. Sure sometimes I get crap (cordless drills), sometimes a "gem". IMO, the slider was a great deal for a "Franklin".
--
Keith

RE: Subject
"Harbor Freight" and "tools" are mutually exclusive terms.
Having said that, I buy a lot of consumables from them such as latex gloves, chip brushes, etc.
If I need tools, I go to people who sell tools.
Lew
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 03:54:05 +0000, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Nonsense. There are snobs everywhere though.

Me too. Most of my purchases from HF are such things, but that doesn't mean they have no decent tools.

Like Crapsman? ;-)
--
Keith

I wrote:
>>"Harbor Freight" and "tools" are mutually exclusive terms.
Keith responds:
> Nonsense. There are snobs everywhere though.
To each his own.
I wrote:
>>If I need tools, I go to people who sell tools.
Keith responds:
> Like Crapsman? ;-)
Isn't that another name for HF?
Lew
Give me a break. Craftsman is about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,00 0,000,000,000,000 times better than the crap sold at HF.

"Keith" < snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzz> wrote in message
TBone wrote:

Look a little closer. Some of it is identical, except for the sticker (e.g. router bits), some is only slightly different or has a different color, at a 40 percent higher cost. Just because it is a Sears or other store doesn't mean it is different? Bought a flimsy but large dustpan at Lowes that was 5 times the cost of the identical item at the dollar store. Bought an HF short extension with 3 outlets and HF. The exact identical item cost 3 times the amount at HD and 4 times the amount at Lowes and Sears. I also note that Lowes larger electrical extension are now much lower and closer to the HF price and they usually have a different color.
Wed, Jan 25, 2006, 6:14am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (GeorgeE.Cawthon) doth state: Look a little closer. Some of it is identical, except for the sticker <snip>
Yep, plus HF sells refurbished items. Not sure it both Delta & DeWalt, or just one or the other. Seems to me I've seen some Milwaukee tools too. Welding magnets are a LOT cheaper than at a welding supply store, even if not on sale, and they're just the same.
JOAT You only need two tools: WD-40, and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Harbor Freight sells tools. Lots of them! I been there. I seen them!
Joe Barta
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 17:01:03 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@spam.invalid (bigdaddy12367) wrote:

Personally, I don't trust much of anything that HF sells that has a power cord on it, but some people swear by theirs. There are some things HF sells that work fine, others, you should run from.
My best advice is find a HF store and check the saw out for yourself. Look for fit and finish and see how smoothly the saw moves. Look at the safety features. Remember that you get what you pay for and you're not paying much, so...
Have a cheapo HF compound sliding miter saw. Have used it off and on for couple years. Have made a lot of cuts with it. Works fine. I have both Makita and Delta compound mitre saws (not sliding) and I use the HF saw almost exclusively. The HF is much more noisy but the angle cuts have been right on the money and more accurate than either of the others. It has been very much worth it's cost to me. For what it's worth! sdh. bigdaddy12367 wrote:

Why do you use the Harbor Freight over the Makita or Delta?
Steve Hopper wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:32:57 -0600, Mike Berger wrote:

Slider over a non-slider? What's so hard to understand? That's why I bought the HF slider for cheap money.
--
Keith

I so rarely need the extra range of a slider. That's why I asked. So it's the feature, and not the quality, that makes you choose it over the others. It's helpful to know that if you're recommending it to someone.
Keith wrote:

Thu, Jan 19, 2006, 10:30am (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@shout.net (MikeBerger) sayeth: I so rarely need the extra range of a slider. That's why I asked. So it's the feature, and not the quality, that makes you choose it over the others. It's helpful to know that if you're recommending it to someone.
I'd been considering a miter saw. But, the non-sliders probably won't cut quite the width I'd need, so I''d been looking at the HF slider. But, then I came across one of my old Popular Mechanics magazines - got plans on making a non-sliding compound miter saw, using a circular saw. Neat. Then ran across my Capotosto's book on jigs, and "it's" got plans for a "crosscut platform", which uses a circular saw - and is in essence, a compound sliding miter saw - but one you make yourself. Very neat. So, I'll probably pass on buying a miter saw, it'd be a lot more fun making my own version. Quite possible I'll buy another circular saw tho, my B&D is somewhere around "too old to remember how old".
JOAT If you can't say anything nice about someone, you must be talking about Hilary Clinton.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says...

Ok, I simply find sliders easier to use (more like a RAS). I don't think I'd use a CMS if I had one.

I suppose. I'm not terribly happy with the accuracy or power of a circular saw for much other than basic frame carpentry and perhaps cutting panels down to size (with appropriate fences/clamps). FOr the $100 I didn't expect much form the HF slider and was pleasantly surprised.

;-)
-- Keith
Mike Berger wrote:

Good Question which I should have elaborated upon in posting. Two reasons: (1) The sliding aspect gives me wider sawing capacity which I frequently need, and (2) When making angle cuts this particular HF saw is more accurate than either the Delta or Makita. Only reason I don't get rid of the extra saws is that the Makita is mounted in an eight foot table with markings & stops and the Delta is my portable mitre saw because it is a little smaller and lighter and I can more easily lug it around. The HF is definitely more noisy but seems strong and hasn't died yet! For what it's worth. sdh. .

I've had one for about 4 years and think its great. I could not get my Delta chopsaw to stay adjusted, once I adjusted the Harbor Freight it has stayed adjusted. I would not use it for picture frames, but for framing, trim, etc., it works fine. A great tool for the money.