HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Hope all our carvers out there are doing a good job today.
Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Searcher1
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:39:40 GMT, "Searcher"

same to you, have a good one...
BTW: do you suggest carving the turkey on the RAS or TS? (I don't have a band saw, which would be my first choice)

Naw, true Neanders carve their turkey by hand. I reccomend a 2" #3 (English pattern) gouge for roughing out and finish up with a #11 spoon bent gouge for the detail work.
Don't forget to strop frequently.
--RC Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 19:11:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote:

that sounds way too kinky for me! I like the gouge and spoon thing, though..
My son's here from Ft. Lewis up in Wa. (we're in central Ca.) and wants to carve it with his m-16... we told him that it would probably be ok, but only outside.. *g*
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 19:11:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com calmly ranted:

No, no, no! A James Swan 3" slick is the main tool for breast work and taking those legs and wings off like they were nothing.

I prefer a 25mm #3 sweep myself. To each his own.

Good call. <burp>
-- SAVE THE PARROTS! Eschew the use of poly! ---------- http://diversify.com Poly-free Website Development
I cut our pumpkins up on the bandsaw this year. SWMBO likes to make homeade pies! Worked like a charm. --dave

The thought crossed my mind, as I was cutting butternut squash today. Ended up using a high carbon blade Chinese cleaver, on an UNOILED maple chopping block.
The crowd was fewer this year. There were only 22 of us. One daughter-in- law took their crew to her folks place, where her back-from-two-tours-in- Iraq brother, a Marine Lance Corporal, was thankfully safely home.
We have much for which to be grateful.
Patriarch
ps: Time for pie!
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 04:50:59 GMT, patriarch

Including those like your daughter-in-law's brother who are willing to put themselves in harm's way for their country. A large salute to him and his fellow soldiers.

daughter-in-
AMEN!
--
Nahmie

From the country north of the 49th that seems to have a congenital idiocy much of the time, I say... Amen.
djb
--
"It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is

daughter-in-
Who had room for pie?
--
Nahmie

Who carves? When the bird is properly done(our family specs), you don't carve it, just pull it off the bones. Much rather have one like this vs. a "picture perfect" bird that carves nicely but tastes not quite done.(IMHO)
--
Nahmie