Happy 100th birthday Bill Monroe

Robatoy wrote the following:

I know the name, but I wasn't a country music fan back then, but I have been since cRap music took over.

Reply to
willshak

Not for the last 15 years ...

Reply to
Swingman

"Bluegrass"

Reply to
Swingman

True.. he hasn't played live for a while now.... still alive in so many ways. I mean, to have an entire music category named after one man's band?

And when a bird sings a Beatle tune, and you can STILL hear Monroe? Astounding.

Robatoy

WARNING!! Listening to this music may cause visions of anal sex and/or you may lose brain cells!

It's no wonder this group gives these responses.

Reply to
m II

Both were the epitome of "soul" before the concept was usurped.

You might also throw Bob Marley in there ...

Reply to
Swingman

Isn't reggae Jamaican bluegrass?

Reply to
Robatoy

As much as I would like to continue having a conversation at the level you have established, I would instead prefer that you would go f*ck yourself.

Reply to
Robatoy

Guess you've experienced both these facts so you should know.

Reply to
Dave

Not since 1996... But a centenary worth celebrating!

Love the "high and lonesome sound"!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

And the story tellin' that comes along with it....

Reply to
Robatoy

Wandered in here to see if Bill Monroe had gotten his due from the rec. Wasn't disappointed. For the uninitiated or the devotees, I might recommend giving a listen to WAMU (Washington, DC) or at >

several years I was flying to NASA HQ 2 or 3 times a month and WAMU was always a good listen on the drive from Dulles to Greenbelt MD.

mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Ahh, the stories. I met Bill Monroe backstage a number times, and worked with some of his band mates, Charlie Cline and Kenny Baker in the studio.

Somewhere in my vast audio archives I've got some great, between takes, open mic banter with Charlie on tape (I always left the tape rolling the entire session, no matter what). He was always in a hurry to get home and his "C'mon boys, let's (get this done and) get back to Maggie Valley!" might have made it on a release about twenty years ago.

Can't believe all these guys are gone, Charlie, Kenny, Uncle Josh Graves, Vassar. SOB ... seems like just yesterday. I'm getting old ...

Reply to
Swingman

Yeah, I'm dreading the day Doc Watson acsends. IMHO, the finest acoustic flatpicker ever.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

As much as I would like to continue having a conversation at the level you have established, I would instead prefer that you would go f*ck yourself.

I like that and will be plagiarizing it! (With mods suitable for the pinhead requiring it)

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

You know it!

Been listening to The Steeldrivers lately... And The Forge Mountain Diggers... Delicious music.

And, of course, David Grisman....

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

How many bricks can a brick breaker break when a brick breaker breaks bricks?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I'd rather hear a 90-some year old mandolin player shred Molly and Tenbrooks than some teenager fresh off the streets utter a string of cuss words that he somehow thinks is novel and original.

Reply to
Father Haskell