handsaw storage - decent tip

Page 1 of 2
Not a bad idea. I'm a little leery because the teeth are facing out and reaching for a different tool...
http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/2009/05/14/ws /

What's to stop you from inserting the saws with the teeth facing in?
Leon wrote:

If someone pulled down on the saw it could squish out the set of the teeth.
Chris

Gosh I hope not! Wouldn't that be the same action as ummm sawing a piece of wood?
Leon wrote:

Nope. As you pull the saw down, the dowel will roll and pinch the saw teeth sideways.
When sawing, you don't have the sideways pinching.
Chris

So you have never ever had a saw be pinched by a board? Very interesting to hear that has not happened to every one. ;~)

I did. It _flattened_ all of the teeth - I now use it as a comb. ;)

I did. It _flattened_ all of the teeth - I now use it as a comb. ;)
Amazing! LOL

Lesson learned. Don't buy your hand saws at Harbor Freight. :-p
--

-MIKE-

I did. It _flattened_ all of the teeth - I now use it as a comb. ;)
R ----------------------------
You must not have much hair!

That's true, but the scabs make my scalp look dark so it looks like I do.

The dowel is wood, isn't it? And while the teeth are designed to cut on the pull stroke (on Western saws at least), as you know from starting a cut, they'll also cut on the pull stroke. It's really not a concern that the dowel will damage the saw.
RicodJour wrote:

As I mentioned in my reply to Leon, if you pull down on the saw the dowel will roll and pinch the saw blade tighter. This would be like squeezing the teeth sideways in a wooden vise.
Chris
On 5/15/2009 12:33 PM Chris Friesen spake thus:

As others have expressed, I wouldn't sweat it, given the relative hardness difference betwixt a tool-steel saw and a hardwood dowel. Besides, you're going to learn to pull up, not down, on the saw to remove it.
Reminds me of the rather prissy advice not to store planes blade-down on a wooden shelf. As someone else pointed out, planes spend their working lives ... cutting face-down on wood. Parking one on a wood shelf isn't going to damage it.

On 5/15/2009 12:33 PM Chris Friesen spake thus:

Surprised nobody's hit on the obvious solution to this problem: cut a rebate into the dowels at the back end so they won't pinch the teeth.

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I think you already hit on the obvious solution to this "problem." Learn how to use your own jig. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Which would have the exact effect of impressing the tooth pattern on the wood. Try it. Post a picture.
As Sancho Panza said, "Whether the stone hits the pitcher or the pitcher hits the stone, it's going to be bad for the pitcher." He was talking about his wife.
There's also that thing called a learning curve. If you pull down on the saw it will make it difficult to remove the saw. The steeper your learning curve, the sooner you will learn to not pull down on the saw.
On 5/15/2009 1:06 PM RicodJour spake thus:

Conversely, if your learning curve is shallow, you're going to cut your damn hand removing a saw waaay before you'd damage any teeth if they were stored teeth-in.

Blood-letting enhances the learning curve.
I agree about not particularly liking the teeth facing out, but the handles _are_ at the bottom and you always grab the handle to pick up a saw anyway. I suppose if someone had a serious case of the shakes, that setup would be dangerous, but then again so would pretty much any form of woodworking.
I'd probably do a combination of Morris' (?) rare-earth magnets and the originally posted one. Lose the dowels, have magnets on one side only and slots for the saws with the teeth facing in. Cover the magnets with thin wood veneer so no teeth are contacting metal.
RicodJour wrote:

My first thought when I saw all of the saws with their teeth facing out was this is not good. However if the wall piece were place near the celling of the shop with just sufficient space above to lift the saw it seems like it would be a good idea.
You would reach up lift the saw up an out to remove it and up and in to put it in place. The teeth would be all above the normal work area.