Hall Table

I am trying to design a hall table with a curly maple center panel surrounded by a mitered cherry frame. The center panel would be about 11 inches wide. Any opinions on home much room I need to leave in the groove of the frame to allow for expansion and contraction of the center panel?
Jim www.woodblog.com
here's a handy site with a calculator - not sure how accurate it might be, but might give you some idea:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/fvwwg/Movement%20Calculator.htm
using this, a 11" wide maple board with a 14% moisture content (~75% RH in ambient air) that changes to a 8% moisture content (~50% RH environment) will contract about 0.22".
Mike

Thanks for the info and link Mike. Nifty calculator. I think I know what I want to do now.
Jim www.woodblog.com

Depending on where your skills and shop equipment are...
Think about cutting your own veneer, and laying it up over a stable substrate. The special wood goes further, and it doesn't move nearly as much.
This will possibly give you an excuse to upgrade your bandsaw, too.
Patriarch, not quite there yet, but closing in on it...