Hack saw push or pull ?

I need to cut some steel rod.
Should a hacksaw blade be placed in the saw so as it cuts on the push or pull stroke or is just the users choice ?
"Dan Jefferson" wrote:
I need to cut some steel rod.
Should a hacksaw blade be placed in the saw so as it cuts on the push or pull stroke or is just the users choice ? ---------------------------------- Cut on push stroke, but set the cut line to start on pull stroke.
Use some cutting oil and let the saw do the work.
Have fun.
Lew
Update. ------------------------------------------ You can install the blade either way; however, if you install it to cut on the push stroke; you get your body behind your stroke.
If you install the blade to cut on the pull stroke, your arms provide the power.
I'm lazy.
I'll take getting my arse behind my push stroke every time out of the box.
YMMV
Lew
------------------------------------

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 22:02:20 -0500, "Dan Jefferson"

and about 60 strokes per minute works better than 3000 strokes per m.........
skeez
Push stroke
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;I need to cut some steel rod.</FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Should a hacksaw blade be placed in the saw so as it cuts on the push or pull stroke or is just the users choice ?</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

Use a jigsaw with a metal blade.

Use a jigsaw with a metal blade. ================= Or a recip saw.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Strongly recommend the recip. A good jigsaw will do it but my old Bosch died the death doing that--it's repairable but the part has to come from Switzerland (it's an _old_ Bosch)and I didn't want to wait that long so I got a new saw. Dunno if it's just a coincidence or not but I've been using the recip saw for that sort of thing ever since.
"J. Clarke" wrote

times. But each time, it was the right tool for the job and much simpler than any other alternative I had.
Two things became very apparent about using this saw. The first is that you must use sharp blades. Dull blades become and exercise in self abuse. The other is that you must secure the stock. Clamp it down, put it in a vise or stand on it. But make sure it doesn't move around. Otherwise the blade will grab it and jerk it around. It is like wrestling with a bear.
But with sharp blades and secure stock, the recip saw does a good job.
On Jan 20, 10:22am, "Lee Michaels"

And a jigsaw doesn't reciprocate? Huh? HUH? H U H ?
:-)
I said
:-)
Ohhh.. I get it...a jigsaw goes up and down and a recip goes back and forth.... LOL
Actually... a metal blade in a bandsaw works nice too...if the size permits.
On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 09:26:36 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

in or use batteries, and gives you a mild workout at the same time. If you are cutting a dozen or so, use the power saw.
Dan Jefferson wrote:

While conventionally you set it to cut on the push, it takes seconds to turn it around, so try it both ways and see what works for _you_.
Use a small 4 inch hand grinder with a cut off blade "metal" in it takes about 2 sec.
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>&nbsp;I need to cut some steel rod.</FONT></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Should a hacksaw blade be placed in the saw so as it cuts on the push or pull stroke or is just the users choice ?</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

A pistol-grip hacksaw, with the handle above the blade, provides the blade with downward pressure on the forward stroke and upward pressure on the return. Just what you want with a blade in the normal orientation - cutting on the forward stroke. If you reverse the blade you'll have to add more pressure to get it to cut, and that can be awkward.
With a hacksaw frame with a round straight handle, it's your choice. Depending on how your cut is oriented, sometimes it is easier to cut on the pull stroke.
When I'm using a bare saw blade in a tight place, I'll usually orient it to cut on the pull stroke to avoid buckling. John Martin