Guide to electric air compressors for home shops

Page 1 of 4
..There are six things you need to know about compressors: The maximum PRESSURE that it develops, the rated VOLUME it can deliver, the amount of compressed air it can STORE, how LONG the motor can run (which is also known as "duty cycle"), how much electrical POWER it's going to take to run, and how much NOISE it's going to make....
Continued: http://atu.ca/AirCompressors
DC wrote:

Also whether compressor is lubricated or not. Never get non-lubricated one. I have a Campbell Hauser Extreme duty belt driven compressor which can be powered by either 120V or 208V. I am running it on 120V plugged into regular wall outlet in the garage. For what I do it is adequate. It can even blow sprinklers in the fall.

If you are talking about using the compressor only for power tools and general use, I agree with the lubricated vs non-lubricated. If you plan to use that compressor for painting, I would recommend the non- lubricated. You don't want oil in the lines when painting.
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 18:21:06 -0800 (PST), BobR cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

Not true. A lubricated compressor is better for all wood shop uses than an oilless compressor. The oilless models are throw away, light duty, short lived compressors, and they make a ton of noise. Whether the compressor is lubricated with oil or not has no bearing on its use for painting. I think what you were thinking of was whether to use a line oiler. Certainly, if you're going to paint with that system, do not install a line oiler. Simply oil your tools through the chuck, as needed.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

above statement is just plain not true.

I believe that screw compressors use even more oil than reciprocating, and need a big filtering system. (usually. a good article about hem is here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_screw_compressor
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 22:31:16 -0800, Smitty Two cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

Water traps mostly. The previous poster is correct though, with respect to the type of compressor you will find in body shops.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike - quit wasting your time - this thread is cross posted to a bunch of newsgroups and is going around in circles - there is some correct information, much totally incorrect information (such as the orange peel quote above) - just let this thing die

I visited a large number of bankrupt industrial places. Not one had an oil-less compressor.
There are good oil-less compressors out there, they are marketed to dentists and are very expensive.
I sold one in 2004. It was 3 HP, dual headed.
http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/misc/ebay/Airstar50Compressor/ebayhist.html
I bought it from the military, as "broken, uneconomical to repair, condition H1" for $400. Turns out that what was broken was a tiny air line going to pressure regulator. A minute with a knife fixed it. It sold for $1,200.
On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 22:10:59 -0800, Smitty Two cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

Do you paint? I do. Never had an oil infiltration problem that was caused by the lubricant from my compressor. If you're encountering that, you've got compressor problems. For most people participating in threads like this, oilless translates directly to the cheap shitty stuff.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

And that advice would apply rather you are buying an oilless or not. While a slight amount of oil had very little effect on solvent based paints, that is not the case with today's water based epoxy and latex paints.

What brand/model compressor is this? Price?
--

Mr. PV'd

You could have bought a real compressor for this kind of money.
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 06:46:02 -0800, Smitty Two cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

While I may not like your choice of compressors, I really like your sense of humor...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 05:52:22 -0800, Smitty Two cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

That is a very low delivery compressor. It is only suited for short useage tools or pumping up tires. At 5.1SCFM, it will not support orbital sanders, or other higher volume air tools. Nor will it support an HVLP spray gun. If what you're planning to use it with is nail guns and the likes, then it should work fine, but a lesser compressor (less cost as well) would do that same job.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 06:39:36 -0800, Smitty Two cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

As is true of most everything. We do however tend to fall back to the rule, rather than the exception, since for 99% of the folks, the exception is either out of their reach, or in some other way, not really applicable. That makes the rule (for all intents and purposes) seem more absolute.
I do agree that in the greater sense of understanding something, the exception should be noted.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mike Marlow wrote:

If you paint and don't want to have any problems, get a bottle of dry Nitrogen and a good two stage regulator. NO oil No water that you can blame as to your quality of the paint job. :)
John
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:21:36 -0500, john cast forth these pearls of wisdom...:

Whoa - just a minute there mister. That last sentence does not quite sit right. You might want to rethink that...
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
BobR wrote:

Good luck finding a single automotive paint shop, or pro business in general that gets by with an oil-less compressor. They're noisy, hot running things that burn out if you run them too hard. A good oil lubricated compressor exhausts a negligible amount of oil, and you need a really good filter and moisture separater in the line for painting anyway.