Grump, grump, argh! Lost hardware.

Back in April, I bought some hardware for a possible book proposal. As usual, Lee Valley got it here so fast I barely had time to expect it.

So, now, the book proposals are out, and at least one publisher is interested, but would like to see a completed project (small, lathe based). A good time to dig the hardware out.

As my granddaughter says, yeah, right.

It sat upstairs until a few weeks ago.

We cleaned up for visitors about then, so my wife decided that tools and hardware had to leave the living room.

Now, if someone will tell me where I put the blinking stuff, I'll be a lot happier, because I sure don't remember, and after turning my office and the shop nearly upside down, and doing a cursory (or was it cursing) search of the house, I have less of an idea than when I began hunting.

My wife says we'll find it. Yeah. Right.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Been there, done that.

It WILL show up, may take a while, BUT, it will show up.

Meanwhile, have a brew and some BBQ.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

As expected, my face is red. I am grateful I didn't snarl at my wife, asking where she put the things. I was prepping for shooting some automobile photos tomorrow. Lifted the camera bag. Bingo!

I'm glad I didn't wait until noon tomorrow to lift the bag. It feels a little less like someone trying to squeeze my forehead in a vise now.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Charlie,

I have a fool-proof method of finding lost things. It has never failed to work. I just buy another whatever and sure enough the original reappears!

R.C.

Reply to
Richard Cranium

"Richard Cranium" wrote

So true, so true.

Another variant of this principle is throwing something out because you have had it for many years and you will never need it.

Then a week later you need it and have to buy it.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Charlie Self" wrote in news:1120507224.735515.191160 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

At my house, it would be in a box in the garage. And as accessible as the Ark of the Covenant.

Last week, after a wooddorker's club meeting, I had a couple of guys drop by the house. Jay makes these wonderful segemented turnings that are for all intents and purposes, Faberge' type eggs in exotic woods. I work larger, and so scraps for me are parts for him. In clearing out stuff to give him, I found a bag of door trim parts that I had purchased months ago, and 'put aside for safe keeping'.

Give something, anything, away, Charlie. Your hardware will show up. ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

the "twofers" I've had, and the hard to find items that got yard saled or dumped a week before they were needed.

New invention needed, though: hardware that comes home from the store in a normal package, but immediately swells to the size of your average mastadon, then shrinks again when it makes it to the shop ready for use.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Well Charlie, I can pretty much tell you from experience that they will NOT turn up until you order replacements... They're in the same black hole that 1 sock always goes to, and they are scheduled to return some time between you ordering new ones or the new ones arriving... Bottom line for me is that my time is worth more than the stuff missing, so I just replace it.. the up side is that it will eventually show up and you'll have extra.. IMHO, getting the project done for the publisher is more important than turning the place inside out several times (BTDT) and maybe finding them...

Just a coincidence, but I lost my glasses around the end of May... it really burned me, as in about 30 yrs of wearing them, I've never LOST a pair... grr.. I looked in the shop several times, because since they're for distance, as soon as I reach for safety glasses, face shield or look at something up close, I take them off and put them in a bowl on the bench.. My wife tore the house and office up.. after a few days, the neighbors tore the shop up and searched the yard... Being stubborn, I refused to order a new set, knowing how the law of returns work (above).. so I have been wearing my backup set..

This weekend, one of the grand kids comes up to me during the fireworks and hands me my glasses! He's 4 and said that they were in his toy box... it was a definite case of "don't ask, don't tell"... I don't care WHERE he found them..

*lol*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

"mac davis" wrote

Those adorable grandkids get away with things that you would never tolerate in another human being!!

Next time you lose them, look in the toy box first!! LOL

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Charlie Self" wrote in news:1120507224.735515.191160 @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

For me, the only way to ensure it's show up is to order the replacements.

Reply to
Patrick Conroy

mac davis wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Some people have three tape measures. Others buy pencils by the gross. I have maybe 10 sets of prescription eyeglasses, some 10-12 years old. For some reason, they are comfortable for a while, then not. Sometimes the blended lenses cause a headache, other times, those are the most comfortable to wear.

And if the grandkid gets them, I have backups!

Patriarch, who was blessed with a healthy new grandson Saturday evening.

Reply to
Patriarch