Grizzly Polar Bear Series

Yep. And pretty close to being a drive-by Gloat. Also picked up a

2hp Dust Collector and basic start up plumbing kit.

But that is not the Gloat. My wonderful wife has been very close to nagging me to buy this equipment for several months.

She even helped my unload that 650 pound machine from the trailer last evening.

Now how is that for a GLOAT?

RonB

Reply to
RonB

the Grizzly Polar Bear line of tools?

Heavy sucker, idn't it? I'm betting you'll like it. I have the green version, and it's worked flawlessly for me.

Reply to
Steve Turner

fellow (age 72) and he seemed familiar. After comparing notes I realized he was the same guy who sold me on my 1023S table saw 9 years ago. I ended up ordering it via internet but he did a good pitch. He said he worked his way up though the oil industry and went to work for Grizzly in '2000 to supplement retirement for a couple of years. Then he realized it was the cushiest job he had ever had and stayed. Besides, he is a woodworker and they have a lot of toy discounts. Makes sense!

I made it easy on him this time because we live closer and we arrived with a trailer. He, like the advertisement, said the G0453P was supposed to be identical to the G0453 except for color, the improved switch mast and price. But he also mentioned that the removable front and back cabinet panels have rounded instead of square corners. The improved switch mast is much nicer than the original and is being incorporated into all of the planers in the future. I finished cleaning and assembly last night (except for power plug) and was very impressed with overall fit and quality. Those removable panels are very sturdy. Less impressed with the fact that the gearbox did not have enough grease in it but I have seen some comments about that. In fact, in several months of researching this and similar planers, gearbox grease level was among the worst comments I could find. I can live with that.

Now I have to put the dust collector together. Opened the box yesterday afternoon. Reminds me of a train set I started assembling at midnight on Christmas eve ever several years ago. All parts.

Oh well.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

*tips hat and takes a bow* (All I can hope now is that she didn't pick it up single-handedly and walk it up a flight of stairs.)

I'm a lucky that way too. When I first retired in 2003, she stood there, head slightly tilted, hands on hips, listening to my explanation why I needed a few tools.

7 Years later, she just did the same thing. Once I explain things, and she buys my story, she's behind me 100%+. She trusts me when I swim through a pool filled with a bevy of naked Canuckistani Beaver, but isn't too sure about me when I go to David Eisen's Tool store. She also knows I pay balance owing when the credit card statements show up. She also knows to shake her head when I say: "It is only a 4 cylinder engine, dear." But when I add: "NOT like those gas-guzzling 6's and 8's the OTHER people drive!" she tells me to give it a rest. LOL
Reply to
Robatoy

Actually yes, the gearbox is the one minor nit I have. Not that it was low on oil (it wasn't), but that after cleaning up the whole machine and using it for quite a while, I started noticing oil accumulating on the outside of the machine (and sawdust getting stuck to it). I lived with it for a while, but then after investigating I found that it was really nothing more than minor leaks where the hex screws secure the main "gearbox cover" (ref 401 on the parts diagram) to the gearbox. I removed the outer "gearbox cover" (ref 27, different than the main "gearbox cover") and tightened the screws holding #401 in place and I haven't had a problem since.

Reply to
Steve Turner