Grizzly G0442 dust collector

Anyone have any information on the new 5HP dust collector from grizzly. I believe Santa is preparing to deliver one for Christmas. I've been watching this newsgroup and there is very little info. Makes me wonder if they are currently shipping. I'm very cautious buying anything grizzly, but it appears they compare well, price and features, against Oneida cyclones.

If you really need a 5 hp dust collector, then I'd recommend you get something that's really more industrial strength. The Grizzley looks like an example of Sears rating scheme taken to the extreme. They claim it can support four machines with up to 1205 CFM each. That capacity would be closer to 20 HP, not 5. A Jet 3 HP dust collector drives a 14" impeller. Jet is usually conservatively rated. How come the Grizzley claims 5hp to drive a smaller 13" impeller?
Lastly, if you really need the capacity of a 5 hp collector, I would sure get one that has larger drums to hold the dust instead of a couple of smaller plastic bags. I'd also go for a real cyclone or large canister filter setup. Dust collection is not the place to skimp for industrial/commercial requirements.
Bob
Bob,
Thanks for the reply. I think you might be referring to a different Grizzly model. The impeller is 16" and the amp rating is 22.4 which is in the range of a 5HP motor. I am a hobbyist woodworker, but I do have aspirations of expanding my woodworking business when I retire from my IT career. Most of my equipment is cabinet shop quality and my research of this dust collector indicates that this is not a pussy DC. Specs indicate that it is in line with equivalent 5HP Oneida and ClearVue Cyclones. Cost $2195.
MrAnderson wrote:

Don't have solid data but if I were in the market I'd take the reputable Oneida over the Grizzly unless I had some way to verify and the cost differential were really sizable. I know Grizzly has pretty solid reputation for their equipment, but I'm conservative in taking the "devil I know"...
Here are the cyclones I'm considering:
http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/Order_Page.html $895 plus filters, garbage can. Great deal. Plastic construction.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.aspx?itemnumber=G0442 $2195 + 134.25 shipping. more features than oneida.
http://www.oneida-air.com/products/systems/5hphv/main.htm $2750 plus $500+ shipping. Great reputation. Design support.U.S. made $2,790
Ordered the Grizzly yesterday. Today, I was told that it's on backlog until late November. I suspect that none of the new models have ever shipped, even though Grizzly states on their website that they were available last April. Can anyone verify this? Love to hear from someone that has one of these models.
MrAnderson wrote:

Think this one is under the heading of "get what you pay for".

Such as, and how sure are of how it works in comparison?

What difference will it make now?
Have over a month before it is scheduled to ship. Canceling the order is an option.
The differences between the Oneida & Grizzly are outlined on Grizzly's website:
http://www.grizzly.com/dustcollectors/compare5.aspx
Grizzly comes with remote (a real nice feature) and double filter. Oneida counters on their website that the main difference is the motor, american versus taiwan import.
Mr Anderson,
I just purchased a 3 HP G0441 about 3 weeks ago. The machine is built like a tank. After wiring it, I mounted the motor/turbine blade housing on the wall (yes, it looks a lot more like a turbine impeller than a "fan blade"). I turned the machine on - it was terrifying. My sound meter measured it at 103 DB at 2 meters - BUT - this was without all the other hardware mounted to the machine.
After full assembly, it is 87 DB at 3 meters in a small shop. This noise level is just fine by me but considerably more than the 83 DB at 1 meter they told me during my pre-purchase interview.
I have not yet put together all the mechanical to test this machine's effectiveness but, by the construction of the unit, and the amount of air that thing is moving when turned on, I bet it's performance at the tools will be excellent.
Wall mounting the motor housing 8 feet off the ground took 3 people and was still quite difficult. Assembly after that point was a snap. The instructions/manual is very good.
When the unit was shipped, the packaging was a bit beat up and Grizzly had not packed the unit very well. As a result, the intake barrel had a big scratch/gouge on it from a nearby bolt. They replaced the part expeditiously but provided no compensation for the hassle of dealing with returning such a large part.
JR, Regarding your actual noise levels versus those stated in their literature , this is my concern with Grizzly. Can you trust their stated performance levels. It's all in the marketing and they state their case (real or ficticous) quite well on their website. I hope we made the right choice in going with the Grizzly. I'll post my experience if and when I receive my Grizzly shipment (still on backorder).